Re: [ORE_bits] TWS/RWS RF modules

  • Galapagos
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2001
      Check out this page Stephane
      it might help you out a bit!

      http://www.rentron.com/Stamp_RF.htm

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Stephane Gauthier" <stephane.gauthier@...>
      To: <ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 8:49 AM
      Subject: Re: [ORE_bits] TWS/RWS RF modules

      > To answer your question: To connect any serial stream to a computer
      serial
      > port you need a level-converter like the MAX232 to adapt the 0-5V digital
      > levels to the serial ports +/-12V. I personally use the MC145457 which is
      > overkill with 3 bi-directional ports but I got them for free so...
      > There are cheaper ways of doing this with simple resistors too but I can't
      > remember where I saw that so let me know if you want me find the URL for
      you.

      > Yeah, I did checkout this web page and even emailed the guy there. He was
      very
      > kind and replied with lots of suggestions to my problems.
      > I found a way more advanced synchronization scheme on one of those US
      Robotics

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > --
      > =================
      > Stephane Gauthier
      > Firmware Designer
      >
      > Alcatel CID
      > 600 March Road, P.O. Box 13600
      > Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6
      >
      > Phone: 613 784 1387
      > fax: 613 599 3639
      > email: stephane.gauthier@...

    • Corey Centen
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi,

        Is it worth buying the antennas from Rentron? How much distance do you get
        without the antennas? How hard is it to make your own?

        Thanks,
        Corey C.
      • Stephane Gauthier
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 2, 2001
          Thanks, I've already seen this but there's a lot more advanced one on DPRG I
          believe.
          Still I liked the simplicity of their design and example. Very good tutorial.

          Take care,

          =================

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 2, 2001
            I don't know. I would think that RF stuff is way sensitive to everything so
            having the matching impedance and all is key. I'm sure you could do without
            it and use a cheap cord-less phone one or walkie-talkie.

            Take care all,

            =================
            Stephane Gauthier
            Firmware Designer

            Alcatel CID
            600 March Road, P.O. Box 13600
            Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6

            Phone: 613 784 1387
            fax: 613 599 3639
            email: stephane.gauthier@...
          • Laszlo Roska
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 3, 2001
              Hi Stephane

              I finally got my RF modules up and running

              I set up a two axis joystick wired to a pic that continiously sends
              out the joystick position data.

              the serial data is fed into the transmitter module at 9600 baud.

              The other end is just the receiver module and a serial cable running
              to my PC.

              I did't get a chance to move them more than a few feet apart but so
              far so good I don't get any errors. For an antenna i'm using two
              pieces of 11.8" piano wire.

              I will let you know what happens later on.

              BTW the first time I hooked up the circuit I had the wrong receiver
              module, there is no marking on the receiver.

              Also I have the output hooked up to the digital output not the linear.

              Laz

              --- In ORE_bits@e..., "Stephane Gauthier" <stephane.gauthier@a...>

            • stephane.gauthier@alcatel.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                Cool!

                9600baud??? Are you sure? I was told that the maximum the transmitter
                could do was around 1200bps. I know that the specs for the receiver
                says around 3kbps max.

                Are you sending straight data without any fancy sync scheme or error
                detection? Aren't you using a RS232 level converter to connect your
                RWS to the PC serial port?

                Do you have a web page so I can look at your code? I'd love to check
                out anything concerning your setup. (especially your schematics)

                Take care,

              • Corey Centen
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                  Hi,

                  Can you give me some detailed info on hooking the RWS-434 to the comm port.
                  I want to hook up the module to my laptop and receive incoming data on it
                  through RS232. How did you do it?

                  Thanks,
                  Corey C.
                • Galapagos
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                    I have a web page but its been long overdue for a good facelift not much on
                    it.
                    I guess I have to make some time and work on it soon!

                    Yes i'm sure that the baud is 9600 and I'm not using any sync scheme for now
                    or any error correction protocol
                    just wired it up real quick just to see if mine works.

                    The web page I used as an example wast the one I sent you.

                    The output of the receiver is wired directly to the RX pin on the serial
                    cable. The output voltage swing is enough to recognize incoming characters.
                    Not quite RS232 standard levels but you can get away with it.

                    The output from my PIC to Transmitter is inverted serial logic, the signal
                    coming out of the receiver is identical to what I put into the transmitter.
                    I have to do this because I don't use an RS232 converter IC that would do
                    this iversion for me.

                    I'm using PIC Basic Pro to write my programs and it has support for inverted
                    serial output for this very same reason.

                    Laz

                    > 9600baud??? Are you sure? I was told that the maximum the transmitter
                    > could do was around 1200bps. I know that the specs for the receiver
                    > says around 3kbps max.
                    >
                    > Are you sending straight data without any fancy sync scheme or error
                    > detection? Aren't you using a RS232 level converter to connect your
                    > RWS to the PC serial port?
                    >
                    > Do you have a web page so I can look at your code? I'd love to check
                    > out anything concerning your setup. (especially your schematics)
                    >
                    > Take care,
                    >
                    > --- In ORE_bits@y..., "Laszlo Roska" <galapagos@h...> wrote:
                    > > Hi Stephane
                    > >
                    > > I finally got my RF modules up and running
                    > >
                    > > I set up a two axis joystick wired to a pic that continiously sends
                    > > out the joystick position data.
                    > >
                    > > the serial data is fed into the transmitter module at 9600 baud.
                    > >
                    > > The other end is just the receiver module and a serial cable running
                    > > to my PC.
                    > >
                    > > I did't get a chance to move them more than a few feet apart but so
                    > > far so good I don't get any errors. For an antenna i'm using two
                    > > pieces of 11.8" piano wire.
                    > >
                    > > I will let you know what happens later on.
                    > >
                    > > BTW the first time I hooked up the circuit I had the wrong receiver
                    > > module, there is no marking on the receiver.
                    > >
                    > > Also I have the output hooked up to the digital output not the
                    > linear.
                    > >

                    > > Laz
                    > >

                    > > --- In ORE_bits@e..., "Stephane Gauthier" <stephane.gauthier@a...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > I don't know. I would think that RF stuff is way sensitive to
                    > > everything so
                    > > > having the matching impedance and all is key. I'm sure you could
                    > > do without
                    > > > it and use a cheap cord-less phone one or walkie-talkie.
                    > > >
                    > > > Take care all,

                    > > do you get

                    > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > =================
                    > > > Stephane Gauthier
                    > > > Firmware Designer
                    > > >
                    > > > Alcatel CID
                    > > > 600 March Road, P.O. Box 13600
                    > > > Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6
                    > > >
                    > > > Phone: 613 784 1387
                    > > > fax: 613 599 3639
                    > > > email: stephane.gauthier@a...

                  • Galapagos
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                      You should use a RS232 level converter IC like the Maxim 232 just to be on
                      the safe side. Not sure what your background is and how much electronics
                      experience you have.

                      Anyways hook up your Receiver's digital output to the max232 IC that is if
                      you have the pinouts of these two devices and connect the output of the IC
                      to the appropriate pins on your COM port on your PC. You will need an
                      external power supply for your receiver and level translator IC and 4
                      electrolytic capacitors for max232.

                      this is as much detail I can provide you using text.

                      Like I said not sure how advanced you are just want to let you know that I'm
                      in no way responsible for any mistakes you might make that could cause your
                      com port or your receiver module to fry.

                      If you have any further questions please fell free to contact me.

                      here are a few link you might find helpful
                      http://mbdel.dent.umn.edu/~young/project/presentaion2.pdf/Young2.pdf
                      http://home1.gte.net/slickw/ruf.htm

                      Laz

                      > Can you give me some detailed info on hooking the RWS-434 to the comm
                      port.
                      > I want to hook up the module to my laptop and receive incoming data on it
                      > through RS232. How did you do it?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Corey C.

                    • Corey Centen
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                        Hi,

                        How would this work with having a BASIC STAMP II at the transmitting end.
                        Does it support inverted serial output or can I hook the output directly to
                        the RS232 port? I dont need a MAX232 or DS275???

                      • Galapagos
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                          the bs2 does support the inverted mode

                          I use the PIC 16F84 and all I have to do is connect a 22K resistor in
                          series with the TX pin from the PC

                          not sure about the satmp2

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4, 2001
                            I also got my electronic compass, tilt and roll sensor working.

                            I will eventually have my robot superimpose navigational and status data
                            onto a video feed and use the tranceiver to remotely pilot
                            my creature. Maybe even web enable it Dreams are sweet got to many of them.

                            Laz