Re: [ORE_bits] Where is everybody?

  • Galapagos
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2001
      thanks Aaron for the brief explanation!!! hehehe

      Just wanted to know if we are still alive.\\
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2001
        Did everybody give up ???????
      • Aaron and Hifumi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2001

          Laszlo Roska wrote:

          > Did everybody give up ???????

        • Jon Hylands
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2001
            On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:42:29 -0500, Aaron and Hifumi
            <aaron_hifumi@...> wrote:

            > I've thrown out my 68322 board schematics, and have gone looking for a
            > more powerful processor. The 68k series just doesn't have the horsepower
            > for future endevours. Right now I'm looking at the Hitachi SH-2's and
            > 3's.... they've got some neat chips with an embedded dsp to handle the
            > number crunching. I've been looking at the ARM processors too, but the
            > Arm7 doesn't have the raw MHz, and the StrongArm from Intel is
            > expensive. I'm trying to get my hands on various demoboards to play around.

            I've just ordered (and received) a VTech Helio (http://www.myhelio.com)
            from Amazon.com - $130 for the clear-shell version. It has a 75 MHz MIPS
            processor, and a serial port. Oh yeah, and it runs PocketLinux. Right now
            it seems to be out of stock, but you can get one of the other colors for
            $150 (all USD, of course).

            I'm of the school that I run the autonomous controller on the Helio (in
            Squeak Smalltalk), and it talks to a BasicX-24 over the serial port to
            handle the hardware interfacing.

            The nice thing is that Squeak also runs on my laptop, so I can develop and
            test there (using the PC serial port), and then just move the app directly
            onto the Helio and run it there when I'm ready.

            I've got some more pictures and stuff up on my website, if anyone is
            interested... http://www.huv.com/uSeeker

            Click on the Gallery and Construction links to see the latest stuff.

            Unfortunately, I don't get up to Ottawa very often any more, so I probably
            won't get to come to any more meetings...

            Later,
            Jon

            Jon Hylands Jon@... http://www.huv.com/jon

            http://www.huv.com
          • Paul Devey
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2001
              I am afraid that work is going to consume me until the end of March. I still
              dream of actually doing work on my CNC equipment. Alas, not to happen
              anytime soon. I hope others fair better.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2001
                Are you taking the case and the screen off the Helio when it is in the
                sub? I'm just wondering how you found room for it. 8-) I've just been
                cruising your page. Looks like things are moving along pretty well. When
                do you think that you will be able to run it in the water?

                I liked the looks of that sherline mill you have. <grin>

                Aaron

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2001
                  On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:39:49 -0500, Aaron and Hifumi
                  <aaron_hifumi@...> wrote:

                  > Are you taking the case and the screen off the Helio when it is in the
                  > sub? I'm just wondering how you found room for it. 8-)

                  The Helio will go into the next shell, which will be about 1/2" or 3/4"
                  larger in inside diameter than this one. For this shell, I'll be running a
                  tether cable back to my laptop.

                  > I've just been
                  > cruising your page. Looks like things are moving along pretty well. When
                  > do you think that you will be able to run it in the water?

                  I'm still not sure, but the list is getting shorter. I'm hoping to do the
                  first wet tests within a month or so.

                  > I liked the looks of that sherline mill you have. <grin>

                  Thanks, its a great little machine, incredibly useful for this type of
                  thing.