Re: [ORE_bits] Lin Engineering 417-11-48-02 unipolar stepper motor | Alltronics

  • Aaron Ramsey
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
      Stepper motors are rated by current instead of voltage as they assume you will use some sort of current limiting. Most stepper drivers these days use a chopper drive which PWMs the signal at the right current. Running a nice high voltage means that you reach the currents faster and have better response from the motor.

      So, yup, those motors will happily run at 12, 24 or even higher if you use a stepper driver.

      A stepstick is 5 or 6 bucks on eBay. Easy to wire it to a processor.

      Aaron

      Richard P Cook <rpcook@...> wrote:

      For the stepper motors that were for sale at the last meeting:

      fter searching for Linex stepper motors and not finding much (detailed) information about them I simply tried the number, 417-11-48-01,
      and found this:

      http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/28M053/55/Lin%2DEngineering%2D417%2D11%2D48%2D02%2Dunipolar%2Dstepper%2Dmotor

      he PDF data sheet shows 0.3A/phase and 48 ohm/phase.

      A little reading says 'rated' voltage would be 0.3 * 48.1 ohms = 14.43V
      But ... some drivers run at 4 to 25 times that voltage for 'snappy' response (with current limiting to the 0.3A).

      Has anyone here designed their own drivers this way?  What would happen running these at 12V or 24V?

      Richard

    • Richard Sloan

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
          Aaron, for the Stepstick, I see two different versions on eBay:  single chip vs. chip with other res/cap.   Which one have you tried (type and/or vendor)?
          Do you use a heat sink with it (most sold separately)?

          Richard P Cook
          613-796-4646  mobile
        • aaron_ramsey
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013

            The heatsink is just for looks... doesn't actually work and likely really just hinders. All the heat comes out the bottom. A fan is better.

            You need one with the 4988, not the older 4983. Other than that, you are good to go.

            Aaron

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
              Hi all,
              Richard, the link you posted is for the -02 version, and we have the -01 version. Here is the correct link:

              They are almost the same except that the -01 goes CCW and the -02 CW. That may be important for some people :).
              Norm

              Norm Kummer
              Mobile: +1 613 371-5786
              Skype: norm.kummer

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                Thanks Norm!   I missed that.   I downloaded the correct pdf but when I went up to the previous web page I must have clicked on the wrong description.
                I am always putting motors in backwards so I would not have noticed the direction but would have simply reversed the programming.  :)

                Richard P Cook
                613-796-4646  mobile

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2013
                  Excellent, thanks Aaron!   I'll check to see if there are any older ones.   Fan ... check!

                  Richard P Cook
                  613-796-4646  mobile