makerfaire

  • Whiteley
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1 4:39 AM
      A couple of pictures from the Ottawa Maker Faire showing the 'early
      rabble' in the Maker Hall and our 24ft Diorama with Raspberry Pi driven
      HO train out in the Museum Hall.

      David

      125th Anniversary Diorama
      Zion-Memorial United Church
      Carleton Place, Ontario
    • Aaron Ramsey
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 4:40 PM
        Ha ha.... a definitive date eh? That would require an organized individual.... something that we are lacking in. ;-)

        I can't believe you made it through there without me seeing you! Must have been during my walkabout over to the other area of the Makerfaire I guess.

        Aaron

        Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:22 PM

        We went up as spectator's today. Awesome jobs, guys. I did get a
        chance to talk to Paul with his balancing bot and Jim with the
        firefighter, at the two booths, and seen Guy. Aaron and Ron C., but
        before I had a chance to say hi, you were off for eats.
        Very good displays and it showed a lot of interest.

        As a far aside(seeing as how I was only lurking anyways), listening to
        some of the comments at both booths, particularly for one older gent who
        had a fair amount of background knowledge (conversation regarding
        sensors and the segway with Paul) perhaps it would be worth giving a
        definitive date for a RoboMegallon face off for anyone interested in
        viewing.

        Ken

    • Ken McKinnon
      Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1 5:13 PM
        Ah, you were everywhere.  We came in just before you were off for a bite to eat, with a flock of fans in front of the booth.

        BTW, I have always described the ORE as an anarchy of like minded geeks.  Organizers need not apply!

        ORE had a pair of good booths, lots of moving stuff, lots of interest, well up in the top 3 or 4 booths (IMHO).  Like I said, good work to the bunch of you (need a geek lunch soonish....hint to Ron).

        I also liked the solar energy set up, I have an interest in that, but it wasn't clear what his real objectives were.  Was it the solar, the radio system or showing what can be done with low energy systems, or a bit of everything?

        Overall, a good show, looked like a good turnout and an overall success.

        I did want to ask Guy where he found the 6 wheeler for the robomegellan....it looked like a very nice bit of kit.

        Hmm...next Monday....will have to try to make it out!

        Ken

        Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1 5:54 PM
          That 6wd chassis is actually Rons new Robomagellan robot chassis. Its amazingly capable... fast, sturdy and tears though the curbs during our robomagellan runs like crazy.

          Its a Dagu Wild Thumper. it has a really neat linkage between the motors so that lifting one side pushes the other side down with a bit of force to keep everything from rolling around.

          Aaron

          Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:13 PM

          Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1 6:31 PM
            Wish I was able to get out to see and be there I would have had to have some one pic me up as my makerfaire goodie is my home built e bike

            Maybe the next time I will see

            -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

            Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2 4:47 AM
              I'm out in the boonies without bus service but I thought that Ottawa had buses which had bike carriers on the front for bikes or for kid strollers. Maybe next time you can use that?

              Aaron

              Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:31 PM

              Wish I was able to get out to see and be there I would have had to have some one pic me up as my makerfaire goodie is my home built e bike

              Maybe the next time I will see

              -- Sent from my HP TouchPad

              On 1 Sep 2013 8:57 PM, Aaron Ramsey <aaron@...> wrote:

              That 6wd chassis is actually Rons new Robomagellan robot chassis. Its amazingly capable... fast, sturdy and tears though the curbs during our robomagellan runs like crazy.

              Its a Dagu Wild Thumper. it has a really neat linkage between the motors so that lifting one side pushes the other side down with a bit of force to keep everything from rolling around.

              Aaron

              Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:54 PM

              Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2 5:43 AM
                Ron finds all the cool toys!  The chassis looked pretty sturdy and well made.  I was looking at some rock climbers for the outdoor use, but the actual work area on top was pretty small compared to the overall dimensions.  That one has a pretty decent amount of room on top.   Next time you guys are doing a run, I'll try to make it out that way.

                Ken

                  Message 9 of 11 , Sep 2 6:16 PM
                    Ha ha... I can imagine the bus driver being a little grumpy after your destroy the front of his bus. ;-)

                    That's a serious bike. Are you using lead acid batteries? Any pics online of it?

                    Aaron

                    Monday, September 02, 2013 4:33 PM

                    that works for normal bikes as my e bike weighs in at 75kilos the carriers on the bus don`t handle that kind of weight
                    Jim

                    From my androided HP touchpad