Fwd: [Lab] Launching Hardware Freedom Day on April 20 2013

  • Aaron Ramsey
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2013
      Anyone interested in setting something up for this? I can always dig a free t-shirt. I'm sure that we could set up a tutorial or something along those lines if anyone is interested. Its been a long time since a PCB layout session. Or as they say, a soldering tutorial? I'm sure that there are people out there that are still intimidated by surface mount and could use some hints from some more seasoned characters?

      Aaron

      From: Pockey Lam <pockey@...>
      Date: Friday, February 22, 2013 6:16 AM
      To: hackerspace@...
      Subject: [Lab] Launching Hardware Freedom Day on April 20 2013
      Hi there!

      The Digital Freedom Foundation[1] (the organization behind Software
      Freedom Day) is launching a new celebration around Open Source Hardware
      called Hardware Freedom Day [2] (www.hfday.org) and which will be
      celebrated on April 20, 2013 (Saturday).

      We just launched registration[3] yesterday and believe you should be
      interested in participating! Our vision is to use this day to promote
      your local space and use it as an open door day to showcase your
      facilities and your community. Maybe running simple workshops on
      soldering or Arduino hacking makes sense, maybe something else is
      better: you're the organizer, so definitely you should know better. If
      not you can always subscribe to our mailing list[4] and see what others
      are doing. We also have an IRC channel on freenode (#hfd) for instant
      communication.

      Last but not least we will be sending an event kit (t-shirts, banners,
      posters, stickers, balloons, etc) free of charge to all the teams who register
      before March 15, 2013.

      So wait not longer and rush to the hfd wiki[5], create your event
      page[6], put up your program and register your event[3] before the deadline!

      Also help us to make this event as big as SFD by using our banners[7]
      and countdown[8] on your website. Feel free to localize these artworks
      (all released under a CC-BY license) to your language and don't forget
      to share your files on the HFD wiki for others.

      Thanks a lot and happy HFD!

      ----
      The Digital Freedom Foundation Board

      [1] http://www.digitalfreedomfoundation.org/
      [2] http://www.hfday.org/
      [3] http://www.hfday.org/cgi-bin/register.py
      [5] http://wiki.hfday.org/
      [6] http://wiki.hfday.org/CreateYourEventpage
      [7] http://wiki.hfday.org/Artwork#Web_banners
      [8] http://hfday.org/promote/hfd-countdown

    • glenreh2
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2013
        Hi,
        I am a new member of the club. Although I have soldered wires and large components together, I have not had any experience soldering wires to small, delicate boards such as the TI MSP430-RF2500 Development Tool. I would be interested in attending a soldering tutorial event to learn how to make tricky solder joints without damaging the board.

        Thanks,

        Glen