Re: [ORE_bits] Physical computing with Raspberry pi

  • Geoff Hall
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013

       I was able to get my Raspberry Pi connecting with the Wii remote over bluetooth using the python library.
       I can now read buttons, accelerometer readings and the IR sensor. Candles show up real nice.
       Lots of fun.

      On 2013-02-19, at 1:15 AM, Andrew T wrote:
      I am playing with Rapberri pi.
      I set up system, connected to my TV.
      I have only some Unix experience and microcontroller like Arduino and PIC.
      I was able to write simple program "Hello World" on C.
      I was using editor "nano" and gcc compiler.
      Do you have any other useful links for beginners?
      Can it be used like microcontroller: development on Desktop and upload to Rapberry Pi.
      Thanks,
      Andrew
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 20, 2013
        Ok. Time to break out my Pi. You have piqued my curiosity.

        Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 17, 2013
          I was able to run some GPIO test from Adafruit
          But I was not able to run any WebCam test from both sites.
          I am using Microsoft WebCam "LifeCam VX-3000".
          Any experience, advice?
          Thanks,
          Andrew

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
            For webcams that work with Raspberry Pi see the following website:

            RonC

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013

               What tests did you try to run and what happened?

               Did you try the "lsusb" command after the web cam was plugged in?
               What software are you using to view the image?
               I had no image to begin with until I reduced the image size.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 18, 2013
                I tried "lsusb" and got;
                pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lsusb
                Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
                Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
                Bus 001 Device 004: ID 045e:00f5 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam VX-3000

                It looks like my WebCam is detected.
                Then I tried to run the following code:
                pi@raspberrypi ~/image_processing/examples $ python basics.py

                import imgproc
                from imgproc import *
                # open a webcam to take pictures
                camera = Camera(160, 120)

                # Open a viewer window to display images
                viewer = Viewer(160, 120, "The first step")

                # take a picture from the camera
                img = camera.grabImage()

                # display the image in the viewer
                viewer.displayImage(img)

                and got the following Errors
                First try:
                Segmentation fault

                Second try:
                select timeout

                Third try:
                VIDIOC_STREAMON error 5, Input/output error

                The problem happens when it run command
                img = camera.grabImage()

                Thanks,
                Andrew

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 19, 2013
                  I used "guvcview" to open a window showing the webcam image. Just to make sure the webcam is working.
                  There is information on this page for installing and running guvcview
                   http://www.thisismyrobot.com/2012/08/getting-logitech-c270-webcam-working-on.html

                   I don't think I had to do all these steps, but they shouldn't hurt.

                   I'll try the python basics program with imgproc tomorrow to see if I get the same error. I can open webcam images in python using opencv.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                    I have installed  2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.img and run all steps from your page
                    But when I tried to run last step
                      5. Open up the cam: guvcview --size=544x288 --format=yuyv
                    I got error message:
                    pi@raspberrypi ~ $ guvcview --size=160x120 --format=yuyv
                    guvcview 1.5.3
                    option parsing failed: Cannot open display:

                    I got the same error when connected TV and keyboard to Raspberry Pi
                    and when connecting it by PUTTY from PC.
                    I am new for Linux and Raspberry Pi.
                    Where this display will be opened?
                    Do you have any example code in Python or C++  or documentation for guvcview.
                    My minimum requirement to add eye to my robot is to get image from WebCam as object or array of pixels.
                    Thanks,
                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 25, 2013

                       I don't know what would cause that behaviour.
                       You should try posting this problem on the raspberry pi forum.

                       More information on guvcview can be seen with "man guvcview" or even "guvcview -h"
                       I assume you are running the guvcview command from a terminal window within the main desktop (startx).
                       See the quickstart guide for running startx
                       http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/quick-start-guide-v1.1.pdf

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 26, 2013
                        Andrew:

                        guvcview assumes that you have an X graphics server running to display its graphics on. If you have been running this stuff from an ssh session from a windows box (Putty) or the textual console on a TV then there is no X-server automatically available for guvcview to hook up to for display.

                        If you run an X server and then launch guvcview inside that, then it should be able to display on the monitor controlled by the server.

                        If you want to avoid the costs of keeping the graphics server and graphical desktop environment (e.g. Gnome or KDE) running, then look for a Video for Linux client that saves to files without needing to display the image.

                        The package uvccapture has a 'headless' utility program in it.
                        sudo apt-get install uvccapture

                        uvccapture -t0 -v -osnap.jpg

                        I don't have a real UVC camera to try it on. But that should work.

                        On 13-03-23 07:25 PM, Andrew T wrote:
[...]

                        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)