Staples announces in-store 3-D printing service

  • Diego
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
      http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/30/tech/innovation/staples-3-d-printing/index.html

      Sounds good... if you want your Robot parts made of paper:

      A new service called "Staples Easy 3D" will allow customers to upload their designs to Staples' website, then pick up the printed objects at their local office supply megastore, or have them shipped to their home or business — not unlike the photo- and document-printing service the company already offers.

      The project was announced today at Euromold 2012 by 3-D printer manufacturer Mcor Technologies, who is partnering with Staples to provide its new Iris printers for the service.
      The Iris printers employ an innovative method to generate objects, using reams of paper that are cut and printed while being stacked and glued together. This technique allows for a high-resolution layer thickness of 100 microns, similar to that of the MakerBot Replicator 2, but not quite as fine as the 25-micron capability of the Form 1.

      The new printers also incorporate the ability to add photorealistic colouring ...

      Diego
    • Richard Cook
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
        I try not to get my hopes up as it is not being rolled-out in Canada for a while.  I don't like drooling over vapour ware.  Of course, reading the initial customer experiences before I pay for a print will be helpful!

        Now to start planning .... custom casings for robots .... Cosplay weapons with hollowed out sections for microprocessors/sensors/wires/batteries ... custom inserts for luggage to carry robots (probably cheaper to use cut-away foam) ... what else, what else ...

        Richard

        --
        Richard Cook