Re: [ORE_bits] milling PCB's

  • Jean-Marc LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
      Neat!  I got to build my self one of those!!

      Jean-Marc Le Blanc
      ---

      "Do you pine for the nice days of Minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" Linus Torvalds

      On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Micro <micro222@...> wrote:

      Yep, it's SOIC. I finally used the bits you gave me. I'm finding that the copper that's in the path of the bit gets pushed to the sides instead of getting cut off. I had to sand it off. I don't know what's up with that.

      Guy

        --

        ----------------------
        http://NoMiDesign.net/

      • Jon Hylands
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
          I believe that happens when the bit isn't sharp enough, or the bit is running at the wrong speed.

          - Jon

          On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Micro <micro222@...> wrote:
          Yep, it's SOIC. I finally used the bits you gave me. I'm finding that the copper that's in the path of the bit gets pushed to the sides instead of getting cut off. I had to sand it off. I don't know what's up with that.

          Guy

                     I needed a little breakout board for an 8 pin temperature
                       sensor so I thought I'd try milling one.

                       http://www.ottawarobotics.org/guy/lm75ad/

                       It's not perfect but it's good enough...

                       Guy

             --

               ----------------------
               http://NoMiDesign.net/
               http://krazatchu.ca/

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             ORE_bits-digest@yahoogroups.com
             ORE_bits-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • jim.kiskis@gmail.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
              That's a great link! Lots of good info there.

              Aaron

              1 February, 2012 11:47 AM

              I believe that happens when the bit isn't sharp enough, or the bit is running at the wrong speed.

              - Jon

              1 February, 2012 12:42 AM

            Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
              That' a rather informative web page. I see they're using a milling bit as opposed to the V shaped cutting tool I've been using. I'll have to find a source for them. Legere doesn't have anything remotely that small. Also, I had the bit spinning at 30,000 RPM so I'll have to slow it down.

              Guy

              Message 7 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                If you build one, you're welcome to use my machine to make some of the parts for it.

                Guy

                Message 8 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
                  I got all the rods from Loucon Metal near Slack and Merivale.

                  Guy

                  Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Thanks Ill check them out!

                    Jean-Marc Le Blanc
                    ---

                    Message 10 of 13 , Feb 12, 2012
                      I've finished the soldering. I had the board pre-tinned so it's easy to solder. The IC that's on it is a rather accurate temperature sensor with an i2c interface. Here are a couple of pictures:

                      http://web.ncf.ca/fp927/lm75ad/f1.jpg

                      http://web.ncf.ca/fp927/lm75ad/f2.jpg

                      Guy