Re: [ORE_bits] Re: STM32FDiscovery eval board and IAR Kickstart

  • Jean-Marc LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
      you can use GCC with Keil

      Jean-Marc Le Blanc
      ---

      "Do you pine for the nice days of Minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" Linus Torvalds

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Richard Sloan <themindfactory@...> wrote:

      twice as cool!

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Aaron Ramsey <aaron@...> wrote:

      The Atollic suite won't limit your code size with the free version. They have a wizard which allows you select this eval board As a starting point also so it should be easy to get started I think.

      Atollic appears to be GCC and Eclipse so it is a better starting point if you intend to move to a truly free GCC install later on. With Keil and IAR you are pretty much stuck coughing up money later on when you run into their limits.

      Aaron

      On 2011-10-31, at 11:17 AM, Richard Sloan <themindfactory@...> wrote:

      that is very helpful with ARM's!

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Jean-Marc LeBlanc <jeanmarc.leblanc@...> wrote:

      Keil has neat script that allow easy to set up your timers or alternate fuctions or most of your registers with UI.  It allows rapid prototyping

      Jean-Marc Le Blanc
      ---

      "Do you pine for the nice days of Minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" Linus Torvalds

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Richard Sloan <themindfactory@...> wrote:

      In the 8031/51 world I found them about the same, in the ARM world I do not know as of yet....

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Jean-Marc LeBlanc <jeanmarc.leblanc@...> wrote:

      I much rather keil then IAR

      Jean-Marc Le Blanc
      ---

      "Do you pine for the nice days of Minix-1.1, when men were men and wrote their own device drivers?" Linus Torvalds

      On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM, va3tjp <cq221@...> wrote:

      I recently had had some correspondence with STMicro and a few days ago they sent me this larger one without my even applying for it ! So, I thought, maybe I'll just quickly see what sort of things it'll do anyway, went ahead and downloaded IAR EWARM Kickstart; installation to Windows being ok except for Isinit.exe, adjudged a security risk by Norton, maybe a mistake on my part. Compilation of one or two examples went ok except for the error message "license out-of-date". Now, I had of course gone through IAR's registration procedure for the installation well within their advertised ten-day period so am wondering if any one else has had the same experience. Any solutions ? If not, then suppose I'll have to look for another compiler.

    • Aaron Ramsey
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
        Ah ha! I did not know that. So the linker scripts and make files could be moved over later on then, which is good.

        Aaron

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2011
          I Have never done it before but I stumbled on this just 4 days ago
          http://www.keil.com/arm/gnu.asp
          I assume the size limit is in the compiler rather than the IDE

          Jean-Marc Le Blanc
          ---