Potential hackspace in Ottawa

  • aaron@ottawarobotics.org
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2011

      Hopefully this comes to fruition!

      http://protod.wordpress.com/

      Access to a laser cutter would be sweet.

      Aaron

    • Darcy Whyte

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
              Well, it looks like PrototypeD is slowly coming together. They've got a space staked out and should be opening it up to the public in the next month or two. I saw September thrown around at one point but can't find mention of it again.

              http://prototyped.org/pD.html

              The laser cutter would be handy for some larger projects....

              Aaron

              --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, jim kiskis <jim.kiskis@...> wrote:

              > i hope it does come to life, as i would bel happy as clam and would help out
              > and wpoupld be able to work on some if the intersting projects i have on the
              > back burner as i have to wait for good weather so i can work out side
              >
              > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, <aaron@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hopefully this comes to fruition!
              > >
              > > http://protod.wordpress.com/
              > >
              > > Access to a laser cutter would be sweet.
              > >
              > > Aaron

            • Darcy Whyte
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 4, 2011
                yeah, they finally emailed

              • aaron@ottawarobotics.org
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011

                  Looks like the laser is showing up at PrototypeD tomorrow : http://twitter.com/#!/JanakAlford

                  They are getting a Full Spectrum 12x16 40w Deluxe : http://fslaser.com/40w-deluxe-hobby-laser

                  That's a pretty nice looking machine and nicely priced. I'm surprised that lasers can be had for so little now. Better start saving my pennies....

                  Aaron

                  --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, jim kiskis wrote:

                  > i hope it does come to life, as i would bel happy as clam and would help out
                  > and wpoupld be able to work on some if the intersting projects i have on the
                  > back burner as i have to wait for good weather so i can work out side
                  >
                  > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hopefully this comes to fruition!
                  > >
                  > > http://protod.wordpress.com/
                  > >
                  > > Access to a laser cutter would be sweet.
                  > >
                  > > Aaron

                  Full Spectrum's 12x16 40w Deluxe
                • Darcy Whyte
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011

                    Yeah, that's pretty affordable. You can save only a bit by DIYing it.

                    On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:48 AM, <aaron@...> wrote:

                    Looks like the laser is showing up at PrototypeD tomorrow : http://twitter.com/#!/JanakAlford

                    They are getting a Full Spectrum 12x16 40w Deluxe : http://fslaser.com/40w-deluxe-hobby-laser

                    That's a pretty nice looking machine and nicely priced. I'm surprised that lasers can be had for so little now. Better start saving my pennies....

                    Aaron

                    On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:04:31 -0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:

                    yeah, they finally emailed

                    On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Aaron <aaron@...> wrote:

                    Well, it looks like PrototypeD is slowly coming together. They've got a space staked out and should be opening it up to the public in the next month or two. I saw September thrown around at one point but can't find mention of it again.

                    http://prototyped.org/pD.html

                    The laser cutter would be handy for some larger projects....

                    Aaron

                    --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, jim kiskis wrote:

                    > i hope it does come to life, as i would bel happy as clam and would help out
                    > and wpoupld be able to work on some if the intersting projects i have on the
                    > back burner as i have to wait for good weather so i can work out side
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hopefully this comes to fruition!
                    > >
                    > > http://protod.wordpress.com/
                    > >
                    > > Access to a laser cutter would be sweet.
                    > >
                    > > Aaron

                    Full Spectrum's 12x16 40w Deluxe

                  • Paul & Andrea Mumby
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011
                      Too bad they don't have another model with a slightly larger build volume. I would love one at 24" x 36" even if it was double or triple that price

                      Speaking of that, anyone know how much the Zing 24 costs?

                      - Paul

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011

                        I seem to remember that the Zing 24 starts at around $8k for the 30 watt laser. Definitely pay a premium for both the Epilog name/quality and the increased cutting area.

                        Aaron

                        On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:14:59 -0400, Paul & Andrea Mumby wrote:

                        Too bad they don't have another model with a slightly larger build volume. I would love one at 24" x 36" even if it was double or triple that price

                        Speaking of that, anyone know how much the Zing 24 costs?
                        - Paul

                        On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Darcy Whyte <darcy@...> wrote:

                        Yeah, that's pretty affordable. You can save only a bit by DIYing it.

                        On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:48 AM, <aaron@...> wrote:

                        Looks like the laser is showing up at PrototypeD tomorrow : http://twitter.com/#!/JanakAlford

                        They are getting a Full Spectrum 12x16 40w Deluxe : http://fslaser.com/40w-deluxe-hobby-laser

                        That's a pretty nice looking machine and nicely priced. I'm surprised that lasers can be had for so little now. Better start saving my pennies....

                        Aaron

                        On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:04:31 -0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:

                        yeah, they finally emailed

                        On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Aaron <aaron@...> wrote:

                        Well, it looks like PrototypeD is slowly coming together. They've got a space staked out and should be opening it up to the public in the next month or two. I saw September thrown around at one point but can't find mention of it again.

                        http://prototyped.org/pD.html

                        The laser cutter would be handy for some larger projects....

                        Aaron

                        --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, jim kiskis wrote:

                        > i hope it does come to life, as i would bel happy as clam and would help out
                        > and wpoupld be able to work on some if the intersting projects i have on the
                        > back burner as i have to wait for good weather so i can work out side
                        >
                        > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, wrote:
                        >

                        > > Hopefully this comes to fruition!
                        > >
                        > > http://protod.wordpress.com/
                        > >
                        > > Access to a laser cutter would be sweet.
                        > >
                        > > Aaron

                        Full Spectrum's 12x16 40w Deluxe

                      • Andrew Plumb
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011
                          Zing 24 is what we're getting for the Artengine/ModLab space. Should arrive some time in late August.

                          Andrew.

                          --

                          "The future is already here. It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

                          Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/
                        • Darcy Whyte
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011
                            I think this is when DIY starts to get attractive.

                            On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM, <aaron@...> wrote:

                            I seem to remember that the Zing 24 starts at around $8k for the 30 watt laser. Definitely pay a premium for both the Epilog name/quality and the increased cutting area.

                            Aaron

                            On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:14:59 -0400, Paul & Andrea Mumby wrote:

                            Too bad they don't have another model with a slightly larger build volume. I would love one at 24" x 36" even if it was double or triple that price

                            Speaking of that, anyone know how much the Zing 24 costs?
                            - Paul

                            On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Darcy Whyte <darcy@...> wrote:

                            Yeah, that's pretty affordable. You can save only a bit by DIYing it.

                            On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:48 AM, <aaron@...> wrote:

                            Looks like the laser is showing up at PrototypeD tomorrow : http://twitter.com/#!/JanakAlford

                            They are getting a Full Spectrum 12x16 40w Deluxe : http://fslaser.com/40w-deluxe-hobby-laser

                            That's a pretty nice looking machine and nicely priced. I'm surprised that lasers can be had for so little now. Better start saving my pennies....

                            Aaron

                            On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:04:31 -0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:

                            yeah, they finally emailed

                            On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Aaron <aaron@...> wrote:

                            Well, it looks like PrototypeD is slowly coming together. They've got a space staked out and should be opening it up to the public in the next month or two. I saw September thrown around at one point but can't find mention of it again.

                            http://prototyped.org/pD.html

                            The laser cutter would be handy for some larger projects....

                            Aaron

                            --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, jim kiskis wrote:

                            > i hope it does come to life, as i would bel happy as clam and would help out
                            > and wpoupld be able to work on some if the intersting projects i have on the
                            > back burner as i have to wait for good weather so i can work out side
                            >
                            > On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM, wrote:
                            >

                            > > Hopefully this comes to fruition!
                            > >
                            > > http://protod.wordpress.com/
                            > >
                            > > Access to a laser cutter would be sweet.
                            > >
                            > > Aaron

                            Full Spectrum's 12x16 40w Deluxe

                          • Richard Cook
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011
                              On 11-07-14 08:48 AM, aaron@... wrote:
                              > They are getting a Full Spectrum 12x16 40w Deluxe :
                              > http://fslaser.com/40w-deluxe-hobby-laser
                              >
                              > That's a pretty nice looking machine and nicely priced. I'm surprised
                              > that lasers can be had for so little now. Better start saving my pennies....
                              >
                              > Aaron

                              Hmm, $2500 + shipping for Nevada? Lots of options too to add up. :(

                              I have not seen nor played with one (yet), however, over a year ago I
                              was looking at this one (I think their controllers have changed already):

                              --
                              Richard Cook
                            • Richard Sloan
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 14, 2011
                                gotta be careful a lot of these laser are crap and the driver boards are very bad!

                                not saying this one is, just in general.

                                R.