Re: Freescale MC33932 Dual h-bridge

  • picdude777
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
      Very cool, but $7.85 a pop if you need to buy 'em! Ack!

      Did you sample as an individual with no other qualifications, or was it somehow work-related? (seem that a lot of sampling programs want "company" data...)

      Thanks.

      --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Ramsey <aaron@...> wrote:

      > So, I'm always looking for new chips to play with. I'm a sucker that
      > way. H-bridges are something that are a pain in the butt.... there just
      > aren't enough that work in the voltage and current ranges for the small
      > robots that I like to build. One of my favourites in the past was the
      > MC33887, but that one has become incredibly hard to find.
      >
      > The MC33926 comes close, with 3A continuous and 5A peak and so I've been
      > using it recently. It works really nicely. It used to be that the 33926
      > was 8V minimum, but they recently changed the datasheet to allow 5V
      > operation after they tested the chip a little more (I guess). That lets
      > it work right in the 2 cell LiPo range... perfect.
      >
      > As I dug through the freescale website, I happened across the MC33932.
      > On the face of it, its not a good match... 8V minimum, blah blah blah...
      > but, a closer look shows that it is actually a version of the MC33926,
      > but with 2 of them in the silicon rather than one. Datasheets are an
      > exact copy of each other, aside from the 33932 not having been
      > completely requalified for 5V operation. They mention 5V operation
      > though, with the caveat that the Rds increases at the lower voltages.
      > That means that the chip will heat up a little faster and you'll need
      > better cooling if you push it all the way. Sweet.... A nice little 3A
      > continuous, 6.5A peak, dual h-bridge with current monitoring, easily
      > solderable by hand package. What could be better?
      >
      > So I went to sample some... and it got better. <grin> They let me sample
      > 50 of them at a time. Wow... I sampled 50 of them in December, assuming
      > that they'd never actually ship that many out. I didn't lie on the
      > customer info bit... small robot platform, sub 1000 per year,
      > prototyping, etc...
      >
      > And what showed up today? About a half a pound of MC33932 chips. Sweet!
      > Not bad for $5.
      >
      > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC33932&fsrch=1&sr=1
      >
      > I'm going to be using these puppies all over the place.
      >
      > Aaron

    • Aaron Ramsey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2011
        No qualifications, used my gmail email even. Freescale is pretty good for
        samples to individuals.

        $7.85 is still pretty good considering that its a dual 3A h-bridge with
        current monitoring, etc...

        Aaron

        > Very cool, but $7.85 a pop if you need to buy 'em! Ack!
        >
        > Did you sample as an individual with no other qualifications, or was it
        > somehow work-related? (seem that a lot of sampling programs want
        > "company" data...)
        >

        > Thanks.
        >
        > --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Ramsey <aaron@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> So, I'm always looking for new chips to play with. I'm a sucker that
        >> way. H-bridges are something that are a pain in the butt.... there just
        >> aren't enough that work in the voltage and current ranges for the small
        >> robots that I like to build. One of my favourites in the past was the
        >> MC33887, but that one has become incredibly hard to find.
        >>
        >> The MC33926 comes close, with 3A continuous and 5A peak and so I've been
        >> using it recently. It works really nicely. It used to be that the 33926
        >> was 8V minimum, but they recently changed the datasheet to allow 5V
        >> operation after they tested the chip a little more (I guess). That lets
        >> it work right in the 2 cell LiPo range... perfect.
        >>
        >> As I dug through the freescale website, I happened across the MC33932.
        >> On the face of it, its not a good match... 8V minimum, blah blah blah...
        >> but, a closer look shows that it is actually a version of the MC33926,
        >> but with 2 of them in the silicon rather than one. Datasheets are an
        >> exact copy of each other, aside from the 33932 not having been
        >> completely requalified for 5V operation. They mention 5V operation
        >> though, with the caveat that the Rds increases at the lower voltages.
        >> That means that the chip will heat up a little faster and you'll need
        >> better cooling if you push it all the way. Sweet.... A nice little 3A
        >> continuous, 6.5A peak, dual h-bridge with current monitoring, easily
        >> solderable by hand package. What could be better?
        >>
        >> So I went to sample some... and it got better. <grin> They let me sample
        >> 50 of them at a time. Wow... I sampled 50 of them in December, assuming
        >> that they'd never actually ship that many out. I didn't lie on the
        >> customer info bit... small robot platform, sub 1000 per year,
        >> prototyping, etc...
        >>
        >> And what showed up today? About a half a pound of MC33932 chips. Sweet!
        >> Not bad for $5.
        >>
        >> http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC33932&fsrch=1&sr=1
        >>
        >> I'm going to be using these puppies all over the place.
        >>
        >> Aaron

      • Richard Sloan

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2011
            They've got magnetometers, accelerometers, battery chargers and regulators too. They've got processors, but nothing that I've been tempted to use for a few years now. I see they are releasing a new ARM Cortex based device which looks nice, but is only available in BGA footprints right now.

            Aaron

            --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Richard Sloan <themindfactory@...> wrote:

            > Any other cool Freescale "freebees"? :-)
            >
            > Richard.
            >

            > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Aaron Ramsey <aaron@...>wrote:
            >

            > > So, I'm always looking for new chips to play with. I'm a sucker that
            > > way. H-bridges are something that are a pain in the butt.... there just
            > > aren't enough that work in the voltage and current ranges for the small
            > > robots that I like to build. One of my favourites in the past was the
            > > MC33887, but that one has become incredibly hard to find.
            > >
            > > The MC33926 comes close, with 3A continuous and 5A peak and so I've been
            > > using it recently. It works really nicely. It used to be that the 33926
            > > was 8V minimum, but they recently changed the datasheet to allow 5V
            > > operation after they tested the chip a little more (I guess). That lets
            > > it work right in the 2 cell LiPo range... perfect.
            > >
            > > As I dug through the freescale website, I happened across the MC33932.
            > > On the face of it, its not a good match... 8V minimum, blah blah blah...
            > > but, a closer look shows that it is actually a version of the MC33926,
            > > but with 2 of them in the silicon rather than one. Datasheets are an
            > > exact copy of each other, aside from the 33932 not having been
            > > completely requalified for 5V operation. They mention 5V operation
            > > though, with the caveat that the Rds increases at the lower voltages.
            > > That means that the chip will heat up a little faster and you'll need
            > > better cooling if you push it all the way. Sweet.... A nice little 3A
            > > continuous, 6.5A peak, dual h-bridge with current monitoring, easily
            > > solderable by hand package. What could be better?
            > >
            > > So I went to sample some... and it got better. <grin> They let me sample
            > > 50 of them at a time. Wow... I sampled 50 of them in December, assuming
            > > that they'd never actually ship that many out. I didn't lie on the
            > > customer info bit... small robot platform, sub 1000 per year,
            > > prototyping, etc...
            > >
            > > And what showed up today? About a half a pound of MC33932 chips. Sweet!
            > > Not bad for $5.
            > >

            > > http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC33932&fsrch=1&sr=1
            > >
            > > I'm going to be using these puppies all over the place.
            > >
            > > Aaron

          • Richard Sloan
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2011
              cool I will check them out!