Re: [ORE_bits] Nanosumo sidetrack

  • Aaron Ramsey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2011
      Quick update: Nanosumo boards shipped a couple days ago so I'm hoping to get them reasonably soon(ish).... shipping from China has been sloooooow over December sadly... I still need to do a little more work on the chassis design before I can build that, and get my hands on those motors, but I'm excited about this little guy.

      Still curious how the quality of the iTeadStudio boards is going to be. This board was reasonably tight so its a good test case of their capabilities... lots of small traces, small holes, etc...

      Aaron

      On 10-12-24 2:44 PM, Aaron Ramsey wrote:

      Just me, myself and I in this thread. ;-) You guys likely think I've gone off the deep end of the PCB pool I supposed..... <grin.

      Well, nanosumo boards just sent out for manufacturing. I tried out the iteadstudio.com place this time just for the heck of it, even though I've got a metric ton of credits at Seeedstudio now. iTead has a 10% off sale until the new year, so my PCBs came out to a grand total of $10.80 for 10 of them. Insanity!

      I ended up dropping many of the goodies on the nanosumo board... just didn't have room to get all the extras on there. I'm left with the IR range sensors, dual 1A motor driver, 2 line sensors, two buttons and power switch, a bunch of blinky leds and 3 spare I/O solder pads..... minimal, just like a nanosumo should be I suppose. I likely won't get a chance to build up the entire nanosumo until after January at this rate, but I had to get the nano thoughts out of my head for the time being.

      As always, schematics and layout here:
      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.pdf
      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.sch
      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.brd

      Maybe over the xmas break I'll be able to Diego-up a website with all this stuff organized. <grin>

      Aaron

      On 10-12-23 7:56 AM, Aaron Ramsey wrote:

      Well, I still was thinking about that nanosumo so I got sidetracked
      over the last few days. I started playing around with a really rough 2D
      cad drawing of how to fit what I want into a nanosumo. This is what I'm
      working with right now:

      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.dxf

      The PCB will form the front blade. That allows me to use the SI1120
      sensor for opponent detection. Its based on the cool little pager
      planetary motors that Solarbotics have. Wheels will be driven with a
      rubber band drive and I'll cast some rubber onto the wheels once I get
      there. Mostly I just needed a quick model to make sure that the PCB was
      going to work if I placed it on the front.

      Schematics and layout in an unfinished state:
      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.pdf
      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.sch
      http://www.aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.brd

      Right now it can drive 2 motors up to 1 amp each, has two line sensors
      and a proximity sensor on the front. Pretty basic stuff. The board is a
      little crowded of course. I put the regulator and a few extra 3pin
      headers coming off of it so that I could repurpose the PCB later if I
      ever needed a nice small unit but I might end up ripping that stuff off
      and making this purely my nanobot board. The idea is to run off a single
      70mA LiPo battery, but the regulator could have been used if I wanted to
      use a 2 cell LiPo later for something else. I/O coming off the pic is
      subject to change as I make the placement more efficient.

      I should be able to get the layout done tonight hopefully. I'm going to
      use this as a test for the iTeadStudio PCB manufacturer.

      Aaron

    • Aaron Ramsey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
        PCBs showed up from iTeadStudio... shipped them via DHL instead of regular post. I think that's the way I'll be doing all of these now. The other ones that I ordered in December and shipped via slow boat are still on their way. ;-(

        http://aaronramsey.com/public/nanosumo.jpg

        iTeadStudio overall board quality is what I expect from cheap Chinese manufacturers.... quality from board to board varies. They claim to test 50% on their website but only tested 4 of them (they mark the sides of the ones tested with a small black mark and you can see where the machine probes touched the pads dong the continuity testing if you look under a scope). Not a big deal for me as I inspect all these boards now since I got burnt a couple of times. On the plus side, they shipped 11 boards instead of 10. I typically get more than that even when dealing with Seeedstudio, but hard to complain about any amount of free PCBs. ;-)

        On the down side, silkscreen is a little muddy and hard to read in places. Silkscreen and soldermask registration is ok-ish, I've seen worse. No real issue there. The bigger issue is the drill placements. The drills are offset from where they are supposed to be in 3/4 of the boards or so. Many of the vias look like half-moons instead of donuts. ;-) A few of them looked like there might not actually be a connection from trace to via (the drill was offset in the direction of the trace) but probing around the board showed that they were actually still making connections inside the plated via hole even if you couldn't see a connection on the outer layers. 8-/ Scary.

        Anyhow, no better or worse than Seeedstudio. If you put boards in front of me from both manufacturers, I likely couldn't tell them apart.

        Aaron