Hot Air rework station

  • Aaron Ramsey
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hey all,

      For the last few years I've been using the hot-air rework station at my
      workplace for quick rework and more recently my IR reflow machine for
      bigger jobs. Not having my own hot-air tool has turned into a bit of a
      pain in the ass and so I started looking at the cheapies that hang
      around on ebay.

      After eyeballing a few of them and trying to track down reviews, I
      finally picked up a Saike 858D+ unit:

      http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250702033254&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

      These things are manufactured under a few names. For around the same
      price (or even cheaper in some cases), I could have picked up one with a
      soldering iron also. I've got a decent weller though so I just wanted to
      get a small hot-air tool without any extra crud.

      Obviously, given that it is a chinese tool, I was a little worried about
      the quality but I figured I'd take a chance. I paid for it on the 24th,
      and it showed up today via Purolator. Much faster than I expected. I
      gave it a shot tonite, pulled a little 16 pin QFN package accelerometer
      off a board, rotated it 90 degrees (yup, had it on there the wrong way
      to start with) and put it back down (with a little solder paste for good
      luck). The hot-air tool worked incredibly well. In fact, it is nicer to
      use than the $$$ Weller that I have been using at work. Unreal. It heats
      up to temperature in a few seconds and is incredibly quiet.

      I am pleasantly surprised. I'm going to have to pick up a few heater
      elements just to make sure that I've got some in case I burn it out at
      some point and they don't make them any more. Aside from that concern,
      I'm a happy camper.

      Aaron
    • krazatchu .
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        That's a nice price...
        I paid about twice that for my Aoyue 968 and shipping was much closer.
        I bought it a few years back when I lived in S. Korea...

        I secretly hope it will die so I can get one that runs from 110v.. lol
        I looked at converting it but the air pump is 220v only...
        Currently using it with a large step up trafo...

        Michael

        To: ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
          I looked at the Aoyue 968 and its cousins also (852, etc..), primarily
          on the strength of them being sold at Sparkfun and possibly being able
          to pick up parts later on (ie- in a few years) just because of that.

          In the end, the price and lack of soldering iron got me. There were a
          few cheaper units (maybe $10 to $20 cheaper) but had 400W elements
          instead of 700W. I'm an impatient guy so I figured that being able to
          heat up the unit faster would make me happier. ;-)

          That being said, they could well have been just lying about the 700W and
          I got suckered. ;-)

          Aaron

          On 10-11-01 11:52 PM, krazatchu . wrote:
          > That's a nice price...
          > I paid about twice that for my Aoyue 968 and shipping was much closer.
          > I bought it a few years back when I lived in S. Korea...
          >
          > I secretly hope it will die so I can get one that runs from 110v.. lol
          > I looked at converting it but the air pump is 220v only...
          > Currently using it with a large step up trafo...
          >
          > Michael
        • Richard Cook
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
            That looks very nice, thanks!

            Did you pick up extra heating elements from the same source?
            If so, how?

            --
            Richard Cook, 613-591-1456
          • Aaron Ramsey
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
              I haven't ordered the heater element yet. They are easy to find on
              ebay by searching for 858D. They run around $10 a piece.

              Aaron

              On 10-11-02 12:13 AM, Richard Cook wrote:
              > That looks very nice, thanks!
              >
              > Did you pick up extra heating elements from the same source?
              > If so, how?
              >
              > --
              > Richard Cook, 613-591-1456
            • Richard Sloan
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2010
                yep I have the one with the soldering iron and the air gun......

                works well, however, it did malfunction on me but still works....

                at first you could switch on the soldering iron separate from the air gun, now if you do not switch the soldering iron on first, the air gun will not switch on.... very weird, I just thank god it still works.....

                warranty with these Chinese units is about 30 seconds.....

                Richard.