Re Almanac 24 May

  • james f
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      Dear John
      Many thanks re the further Joan Hammond pupils.
      Fiona Kimm was born in Ipswich UK.
      The information re Kate Kelly's Road comes from Grove Dictionary of Opera's article on Fiona Kimm, where it is stated that she took part in the premiere in Chester 1983.
      Considering the subject, an Australian premiere would make sense.
      I would be obliged if you could let me have what data you have re date and creators.

      Regards  James

      Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:00:14
         From: "john Lanigan-O'Keeffe" <jlok63@...>
      Subject: Re: 24 May Almanac

      Dear James,

      >Joan Hammond  Soprano
      >Born
      24 May 1912 Christchurch New Zealand
      >Debut as Giovanna in Rigoletto
      (Verdi) 1932
      >Teacher :-    Dino
      Borgioli
      >Pupils     :-    Cheryl
      Barker, Peter Coleman-Wright

      Her other pupils include Claire Primrose and, I think, Jonathan Summers.

      John LOK
      >Teachers:-

      >Fiona Kimm  Mezzo-Soprano
      >Born 24
      May 1952 Ipswich

      Which Ipswich. There's one in Queensland, Australia, the land of Ned and
      Kate Kelly.

      >Debut as 3rd Lady in Zauberflote
      1978
      >Teachers:-    Peter Harrison, Merial St Clair, Lydon
      van der Pump
      >Created Wife/Doreen/Waitress/Sphinx in Greek
      (Turnage)

      Mother in East & West (McQueen)
      >Sang in premiere of Kate Kelly's Road
      (Cowie)

      Where was this premiere? I thought I was at it in Adelaide South Australia
      when Suzanne Johnston sang it.

      John LOK