Re: New Member

  • John Yohalem
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 26 2:48 PM
      From: Mark <Mark@...>
      To: AnOPERAlist@onelist.com <AnOPERAlist@onelist.com>
      Date: Monday, July 26, 1999 12:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [AnOPERAlist] New Member

      Dwayne Croft, isn't he a lyric baritone? And do you mean Suzanne Mentzer? No Paul Plishka?

      Mark@...
      http://www.IntoThe.Net

      Yes, yes, and No.
      JY
    • ddmozart@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 21, 2000
        Hello,
        I just joined this opera list the other day and then the Onelist shut
        down for maintenance. So...I am just now getting mail, et.
        I first fell in love with opera in 1984 when I just happened on to a
        broadcast of Tosca on PBS with Pavoratti. I sat down and watch the whole
        broadcast and this started the whole new world. Having gone from broadway
        musicals to classical music it was time now to grow into opera. I went to
        the local library and checked out the recording (the round plastic kind then)
        of Tosca and followed the libretto while listening to the music. I started
        listening to the Texico broadcast on our local PBS radio station and my
        knowledge grew (as well as my record and then CD collection). My favorite
        composer is Verdi, I guess, all of the Itailian repoirture(?) is my favoite.
        I like several of the French operas also. However, have not been able to
        really apprecitate the German operas yet. Tosca will always be my favorite
        place in my heart as well as Turandot and Lucia....
        I look forward to learning more from the members and am so pleased to
        have discovered you. God Bless.

        Debbie
      • OOrganist@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 21, 2000
          Debbie, the same thing happened to me. I am an opera lover, an accompanist
          rather than singer. And I couldn't really pick out a favorite. Good to hear
          from you. Let's keep the list lively. Lee
        • ddmozart@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2000
            Lee,
            How good to hear from you! It must be wonderful to play piano...I have
            been trying to teach myself so I can play some of the beautiful opera
            melodies,etc. Have you accompanied known opera singers? I am having trouble
            getting the left hand bass and then putting it all together! I do play
            flute, clarinet (high school), classical guitar, and alittle
            violin...although none of these well enough to play professionally, just for
            my enjoyment. The piano would be a better instrument, wish I had started at a
            younger age.
            I am now watching (a little at a time) the tape from the PBS production
            recently of The Marriage of Figarro with Byrn Terfel ( I have fallen in
            love!!!) and Cecelia Bartoli. Even though I am an obvious Mozart fan I have
            never actually seen the opera. Most of my experience so far has been from
            records and CD's.
            Who are your favorite singers? Thank you for your welcome!

            Debbie
          • OOrganist@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2000
              Debbie, here is a Anecdote about Tosca.
              "although Tucker was at heart a generous colleague, confident of his talent,
              he couldn't help resenting the furore attendant upon Franco Corelli's arrival
              at Tucker's home base, the Met. And, truth to tell, as a species of Italian
              Tenor, Corelli enjoyed decisive advantages over Tucker in looks, vocal
              endowment, and national birthright. Thus it was with mingled surprise and
              gratitude that Tucker greeted Corelli's request to listen to -- indeed
              study-- Tucker's rendition of "O dolci mani" in Tosca. Would the great
              American share his expertise with the younger Italian? Could he perhaps
              transmit some priceless secret in the sculpting of Puccinian melody? Tucker
              could and did. ""To sing it right, Franco"", said Tucker, ""you have to be
              Jewish.""
              Lee
            • OOrganist@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2000
                Debbie, since I have consentrated on Organ and Piano, I am not familiar with
                the current opera stars. I loved Kathleen Battle. And the late Robert
                Tucker. I also liked Beverly Sills and still like Pavarotti. There is a
                story about Pavarotti that he walks into a clothing store on London's Savile
                Row, ultimate posh, and says, "have you anything that would fit me>" Noting
                the tenor's golden-age dimensions, the salesman replies, "a handkerchief,
                perhaps. I listen to an opera every Saturday at 1:00 on Public Radio, if my
                husband does not drag me out of the house to do something. Lee
              • Esther Wilson
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4, 2000
                  Hi Everyone,

                  I'm a new member here and am very happy to find a place to discuss my
                  passion in life.....opera!!! I'm looking forward to talking with you!

                  Esther