April 1, 2005

  • walterrlonis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
      April 1, 2005

      BIRTHDAY – SINGER
      Esser, Hermin (t) Ger. b. Rheydt, Apr. 1, 1928;

      DEATH: (April) Gavarini, Renato (t) 1919-2003) It. (84) b. Parma,
      1919; d. Apr. 2003:

      Howell, John Daggett (b) (1911-1969) U.S. b. California, Apr. 1, 1911;
      d. NYC, June 9, 1969:

      Zanelli, Renato (b/t) (1892-1935) Chilean. (42) b. Valparaiso, Apr. 1,
      1892; d. Mar. 25, 1935: His mother was Chilean and his father was
      Italian, and his brother was baritone, Carlo Morelli [Zanelli] (b)
      (1898-1970) Chileian. Renato: MET: Début Nov. 19, 1919 [Amonasro]
      Aida, 4 seasons, 31 perf. 6-roles.

      OPERA - COMPOSER
      BUSONI: Ferruccio [Dante Michelangiolo Benvenuto] (con/com/opera)
      (1866-1924) It. b. Empoli, nr Florence, Apr. 1, 1866;

      RACHMANINOFF: Sergei [Vassilievich] (com/opera) (1873-1943) Rus/Am.
      b. 1873; d. Mar. 28, 1943:

      CONCERT (1940)
      DENVER: Auditorium: Bidú Sayão (s) (1902-1999) Barzilian. and Gregor
      Piatigorsky (1903-1976) Russ. Cellist

      DÉBUT
      MET: Ottaviano Naghiu (t) [Cavaradosi] Tosca (1969); MET: 3 seasons
      (1968-71) 17 perf., 7 works.

      MET: Yanni Yannissis (bs) MET: Apr. 1, 1992 [Jake] La Fanciulla del
      West, 7 seasons (1991-94, 95-99) 128 perf., 15 roles, 14 works.

      PREMIER
      ARNE: T. "Henry and Emma, or The Nut-brown Maid " London (1749).

      HISTORIC RECORDING FOR SALE
      Rare Caruso Recording: Victrola Red Seal: 10 inch 78-rpm, Puccini:
      Turandot `Nessun dorma' guaranteed to have never been played on any
      phonograph. (Comes with a certificate of authenticity) The only
      acoustic recording made of this aria by Enrico Caruso. Starting bid
      $500.00;

      TODAY'S QUESTION
      What was Tchaikovsky's favorite opera?

      a. Il Trovatore.
      b. Lenny's Revenge.
      c. Carmen.
      d. Prince Igor.
      e. The Snow Maiden.

      wlonis
    • Bob Christiansen
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
        walterrlonis <walterrlonis@...> wrote:
        HISTORIC RECORDING FOR SALE
        Rare Caruso Recording: Victrola Red Seal: 10 inch 78-rpm, Puccini: Turandot `Nessun dorma' guaranteed to have never been played on any phonograph. (Comes with a certificate of authenticity) The only acoustic recording made of this aria by Enrico Caruso. Starting bid $500.00;

        This must be some sort of "April Fool" joke. Puccini did not even receive the text for Act III of Turandot until June 1922; Caruso died in early August 1921.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
          Bob.

          Apparently, you will not be bidding on this recording?

          Walter
          --- Bob Christiansen <ghirondero@...> wrote:

          > walterrlonis <walterrlonis@...> wrote:
          > HISTORIC RECORDING FOR SALE
          > Rare Caruso Recording: Victrola Red Seal: 10 inch
          > 78-rpm, Puccini: Turandot `Nessun dorma'
          > guaranteed to have never been played on any
          > phonograph. (Comes with a certificate of
          > authenticity) The only acoustic recording made of
          > this aria by Enrico Caruso. Starting bid $500.00;
          >
          > This must be some sort of "April Fool" joke.
          > Puccini did not even receive the text for Act III of
          > Turandot until June 1922; Caruso died in early
          > August 1921.

          > removed]

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Bob Christiansen
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2005
            walter lonis <walterrlonis@...> wrote:
            Bob.

            Apparently, you will not be bidding on this recording?

            Walter

            I think not. I've not seen it listed in any of the Caruso discographies that I've read. Also, if it is a Victrola, that must mean it was recorded in the US, yet Caruso left for and died in Naples after being quite sick in the US for a period of time. What is the provenance of this item?

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
              Bob:

              I'm sure you know this was an April Fool joke?

              http://personals.yahoo.com