Re: New Member

  • OOrganist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2000
      Debbie, here is a Anecdote about Tosca.
      "although Tucker was at heart a generous colleague, confident of his talent,
      he couldn't help resenting the furore attendant upon Franco Corelli's arrival
      at Tucker's home base, the Met. And, truth to tell, as a species of Italian
      Tenor, Corelli enjoyed decisive advantages over Tucker in looks, vocal
      endowment, and national birthright. Thus it was with mingled surprise and
      gratitude that Tucker greeted Corelli's request to listen to -- indeed
      study-- Tucker's rendition of "O dolci mani" in Tosca. Would the great
      American share his expertise with the younger Italian? Could he perhaps
      transmit some priceless secret in the sculpting of Puccinian melody? Tucker
      could and did. ""To sing it right, Franco"", said Tucker, ""you have to be
      Jewish.""
      Lee
    • OOrganist@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2000
        Debbie, since I have consentrated on Organ and Piano, I am not familiar with
        the current opera stars. I loved Kathleen Battle. And the late Robert
        Tucker. I also liked Beverly Sills and still like Pavarotti. There is a
        story about Pavarotti that he walks into a clothing store on London's Savile
        Row, ultimate posh, and says, "have you anything that would fit me>" Noting
        the tenor's golden-age dimensions, the salesman replies, "a handkerchief,
        perhaps. I listen to an opera every Saturday at 1:00 on Public Radio, if my
        husband does not drag me out of the house to do something. Lee
      • Esther Wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2000
          Hi Everyone,

          I'm a new member here and am very happy to find a place to discuss my
          passion in life.....opera!!! I'm looking forward to talking with you!

          Esther