Re: [opera] PBS Specials, Ana Maria Martinez

  • Joy HD
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 1999
      (See, I should be sleeping but I am still on this silly computer)

      Dale, where did you see opera this summer in Italy? What was noteworthy to
      you? We were in Verona and one of my most wonderful moments this year
      involved the full moon peeking out from behind scudding rainclouds over the
      edge of the Arena di Verona as Jose Cura et al sang the last act of Aida.
      It really does not get too much better than this!

      Has anyone on these chatlists ever been to the Puccini Festival? Torre del
      Lago?

      Anyone catch the SUMMER Richard Tucker gala in Florence?

      --Joy, really going to sleep now, perchance to dream of Italy!

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 1999
        Hi Joy,

        We had another wonderful experience at an opera in the
        Verona arena. We saw "Nabucco" and the people
        clapped so much after the singing of the famous
        chorus, that they sang it again, right then. It
        started to rain and they delayed the opera after the
        first act. I was sure they were going to cancel it but
        about two hours later, they started the second act.
        They didn't want to disappoint 18,000 people. We
        didn't get out till two o'clock in the morning but all
        the restaurants in the area were open if we wanted
        anything. But we were too tired. Just walked back to
        our hotel.

        Sandy from New Orleans

        http://messenger.yahoo.com