IRV Poll - more candidates, voting tips

  • Ted Sowinski
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      After surfing for items about likely candidates in 2004, I added the
      following to our IRV poll:

      Bill Bradley, Former New Jersey Senator
      Hillary Rodham Clinton, New York Senator
      Gray Davis, California Governor
      Cynthia McKinny, Former Georgia Congresswoman
      Al Sharpton, Civil Rights Activist

      If you already voted and prefer any of these to those you voted for,
      you can go back and vote again (sorry for the inconvenience) here:
      http://www.opgreens.org/irv/irv_vote.cgi?c=2004dp&b=2004dp
      As the campaign develops I made add more.

      Also, I received a question about how to vote. To the left of each
      candidate is a little button and if you click on that it will open a
      list box containing all the ranks (now, 1-16). Just select a number as
      your preference (lower numbers indicate a higher preference) for that
      candidate. A vote of '-' (the default) means no preference. Don't
      forget to click on the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page or
      your vote will not be recorded.

      A tip on voting stategy: IRV allows you to "vote your conscience", you
      don't need to rank first the candidate you think is most likely to win,
      make your first choice the candidate that most closely represents your
      views. As candidates get eliminated in each runoff round your vote will
      eventually be transfered to the most generally preferred candidate
      (unless you did not rank her at all - in which case your ballot is
      "exhausted"). In a real IRV election (and in an ideal world) the
      relative strengths of the losing candidates will convey the sense of
      the voters regarding the positions of the candidates (and give pundits
      plenty to talk about).

      Regards,
      Ted

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com