Program on Muslim-Run Charity + others

  • Charles Paidock
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2013

      August 10th at 8:00 PM
      Zakat Foundation of America - speaker:  Ihssan Tahir, RN, BSN, Health Organizer - program includes a powerpoint presentation

      Meeting # 3,232 – "a US-based, Muslim-run charity organization, ZF shows the inclusive beauty of Islam through programs that reach the destitute, of all faiths, both at home and abroad. Since its establishment in 2001, ZF has progressed from mostly offering immediate emergency aid and seasonal programs to a focus on severing the roots of poverty, utilizing Zakat and Sadaqa donations to develop long-term, sustainable solutions.

      Example:  Empowering Women in Bangladesh July 26, 2013
      Zakat Foundation of America (ZF) distributed 40 sewing machines to graduates of its six-month sewing course living in the Hazaribagh slum of the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka, during Ramadan this year.

      ZF provides sewing training for some of the poorest women in the slums to empower them through skill development to better provide for their families. After the course, the women who completed the training received a certificate, but many women worried about how they would get the initial capital for purchasing a sewing machine.

      “My family earns very little. Despite learning how to sew, it will be very difficult for me to earn money without a machine of my own,” said Maria Akhter, a graduate of the sewing course.

      So ZF, through the generosity of its donors, provided sewing machines as a gift for all those who successfully finished the course and attained their certificate.

      The women were thrilled to receive the equipment they needed.

      “It was a big surprise for me that after giving me all the necessary training, ZF also provided me with a sewing machine! It’s beyond what I could’ve asked for!” said Sakina Begum.

      Another graduate, Hasina Akter, sent her blessings to those who have contributed to her empowerment, saying, “We pray and make dua for ZF and those who donated in our cause.”

      To help liberate others from the cycle of poverty and experience the outpouring of divine blessings that are in store for all who perform generous acts of charity during Ramadan, donate today.

      College of Complexes
      weekly free speech forum on social issues and current events
      all in attendance will be afforded an opportunity to ask questions, and make rebuttals and/or remarks for 5 minutes
      www.collegeofcomplexes.org  (information below)

      Upcoming Scheduled:

      August 3
      Zakat Foundation of America
      Muslim-run charity origanization

      August 10
      The Future of Education in Illinois / Illinois Policy Institute
      to empower parents, spur competition, encourage innovation, etc

      August 17
      World Future Society - social, economic and technological developments, investigates the effects of applying anticipatory thinking to society

      August 24
      OFA - Organizing for Action on the Dream Act / Immigration Reform

      August 31
      Debate: Thorium Powered Molten Salt Reactors - A Solution to US Energy Needs, or Just Another Nuclear Boondoggle?

      September 7
      Andrew Nelson - Candidate for Mayor of Chicago discusses the issues

      September 14
      Obama's New Energy Policy, Keystone Pipeline, Fracking, etc.

      September 21
      Are Many Black Americans Now More Afraid of Getting Shot on the Street as a Result of the Zimmerman Decision?

      September 28
      Mariyana Spyropoulos, Commissioner
      Metropolitan Water Reclamation District - with powerpoint presentation

      October 5,12,26
      Open - contact the Program Coordinator Charles Paidock if you would like to speak

      October 19
      Voting Rights Advisory Council
      Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law

      Presentation at 8:00 PM - Every Saturday
      Lincoln Restaurant
      4008 N. Lincoln Ave, Chicago - intersection of Irving Park and Damen
      (4000 N - 2000 W)
      Free Parking, 1 Block from the Irving Park Stop on the Brown Line, CTA
      Tuition $3.00 and food/drink purchase requested by restaurant

      Format:
      Presentation
      Questions from Audience
      Rebuttals/Remarks