seminar: Climate Crisis, this Saturday, 2/16

  • iglarmobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2013
      CLIMATE CRISIS MOBILIZATION
      The Climate Crisis: It's Real, It's Here, It's Up to US to Stop It

      February 16, 2013 (Saturday)
      IIT Kent College of Law, Chicago
      565 West Adams St., Chicago, IL
      climatecrisischicago@...

      The February 16, 2013, Climate Crisis Summit in Chicago will be a full-day working conference that will provide each participant with specific take-aways in three areas:

      -How can I make sense of this? What responses are commensurate with the depth of this crisis? The science is clear; what IS blocking efforts to address the urgency?

      -Which approaches to bringing about change make sense to me, and how will I be involved in the days ahead? How can I get involved with key activist groups and make a real contribution?

      -We need to build a movement -- how can I help get the word out and engage others?

      CONFERENCE OVERVIEW

      8:30 am Registration

      9:00 am Welcome
      9:15 am Keynote Presentation: Climate Crisis: The Science & The Impact Today
      10:30 am Panel Discussion: The Roots of the Problem

      Lunch (provided) - noon

      Afternoon Sessions

      1:00 pm Breakout sessions: Approaches for taking action
      2:45 pm How will we expand the community: Social Media and Upcoming Events
      4:15 pm Closing

      Event concludes at 5 pm

      FULL CONFERENCE DETAILS

      Morning Plenary

      Keynote Presentation: Climate Crisis Science: Prof Mark Potosnak, Environmental Science Program at DePaul University, will present the science of climate crisis. Carl Wassilie, a Yupa Alaskan involved in Alaska's Big Village Network, will speak on the impact of climate crisis facing villages there right now.

      Panel Discussion: The Roots of the Problem: A panel of speakers will examine underlying economic, political and philosophical roots of the climate crisis. The science is clear: what are the obstacles preventing action commensurate with the crisis? Speakers will address the capitalist economic and political system, the traditional Christian understanding of humanity's relation to the earth, and the inheritance of colonial domination and the settler mindset.

      Afternoon Sessions

      Which approaches to bringing about change make sense to me, and how will I be involved in the days ahead? How can I get involved with key activist groups and make a real contribution? Moreover, we need to build a movement-- how can I help get the word out and engage others?

      -Divestment (with participating group 350.org)
      -Pressuring Our Government (with participating groups Stop the Frack Attack on Illinois and others)
      -Direct Action (with participating group Rainforest Action Network and others)
      -Law and Environmental Activism (with participating group Kent Law chapter of NLG)

      REGISTER TODAY!
      Register at: http://www.climatecrisischicago.blogspot.com/

      $25 includes lunch
      $10 student and low income, includes lunch
      Please indicate on the registration form which breakout session you plan to attend, so that we can help the session leaders plan for active participation by size of group they will have attending.
      . . . and please help us get the word out: share on Facebook!

      INVITATION TO GROUPS
      BECOME A PARTICIPATING GROUP
      Please consider becoming an important part of this crucial summit. Participating groups are asked to promote the event via website, listserve and social media.

      Tabling for groups will be available at $25. Apply early to assure a table.

      Contact us at climatecrisischicago@...

      Participating groups currently include:
      AddATree
      Citizens Act to Protect Our Water (CAPOW!)
      Chicago Chapter, World Can't Wait
      Eco-Justice Collaborative
      Rainforest Action Network Illinois
      IIT Kent College of Law Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild
      Nuclear Energy Information Service (NEIS)
      NW Indiana Veterans for Peace
      Occupy Kent
      Protect Chicago's Water
      St. Luke's of Logan Square, Social Justice Ministry
      Stop the Frack Attack on Illinois
      Wellington Ave. United Church of Christ (UCC)
      350.org

      Date: Mon, Jan 21st, 2013 - Sat, Feb 16th, 2013
      Time: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
      Location: IIT Kent College of Law
      565 W ADAMS ST
      CHICAGO, IL, 60661-3652
      IIT Kent College of Law is conveniently located in Chicago's west Loop.

      More Info: http://www.climatecrisischicago.blogspot.com