film: Justice Gone Awry, Saturday, Feb 2, 1pm

  • iglarmobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2013
      Justice Gone Awry: USA vs. Al Arian
      Saturday February 2, 2013 1:00 p.m.
      Free Admission Discussion to Follow

      Location
      Open Door Repertory Company
      902 South Ridgeland
      Oak Park, Illinois
      On-street parking and free parking at Scheck & Siress lot across from the theater
      Closest el stop: Blue Line at Oak Park Ave.

      Film Introduction: Hatem Abudayyeh
      (Executive Director, Arab-American Action Network)

      Norwegian filmmaker Line Halvorsen's award-winning documentary about Sami Al-Arian's case is a troubling story of justice gone awry in the U.S. today.

      First arrested in 2003 and despite the government's failure to convict him, Sami Al-Arian remains in jail to this day. Glenn Greenwald has said, "Dr. Sami Al-Arian, a Palestinian whose ongoing persecution by the U.S. Government is one of the most repellent and unjust of any in the post-9/11 era."

      Following the movie, our special guest, Ali Al-Arian, son of Sami and student at the University of Chicago, will update us on the case. We will discuss the implications of Sami Al-Aria's situation for civil liberties in the U.S. in general and also for Chicago-area Palestinian solidarity activists who have endured years of legal harassment.

      Sponsor
      Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine
      http://www.cjpip.org
      info@...
      312.427.2533x19

      The Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine's community education and dialogue series provides a platform for perspectives not frequently covered in the mainstream media. Series events include films, lectures by distinguished authors, activists, scholars, and religious and political figures, and other forms of public outreach.

      For up-to-date information on events please call or visit our website. All events are subject to change. Speakers and films do not necessarily represent the views of CJPIP.