Program to Stop the Sale of Chicago by Mayor 1%

  • Charles Paidock
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2012
    Privatization Watch:  Illinois   (2 attachments)
    a coalition to protect the public commons
    Upcoming Program on Saturday, June 23rd, at 1:00 PM
    Press Release
    Event Information
    Free and Open to the Public
    SEIU, 300 S. Ashland Ave, Chicago
    Civic Groups Plan to Watch Mayor's Investment Trust
    Various civic organizations from across the city have united and pledged to watch closely any attempt of Mayor Rahm Emanuel to use of the Investment Trust for making infrastructure improvements.  The controversial amendment passed the City Council in April.  Members of the group agree that the trust lacks sufficient oversight to protect taxpayers’ dollars.
    There will be a program, free and open to the public, to educate residents of the city about privatization, sale of the infrastructure, and th einherent dangers of the Investment Trust.  The event will feature a panel of speakers, and a powerpoint presentation, on Saturday, June 23rd, starting at 1:00 PM, at 300 S. Ashland Avenue, Chicago.
    The panel will consist of Matt Brandon, of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 73, Jesse Sharkey, VP, Chicago Teachers Union Local 1, Emily Carroll, Food & Water Watch, and Dana Carter, from S.T.O.P (Health Clinic Closings).  A powerpoint presentation will follow by organizer Tom Tressor, representing “Protect Our Public Assets.”
    Beverly Walter, with Citizens Act to Protest Our Water (CAPOW!), is concerned that water remains on the Mayor’s list for privatization.  She stated:  “We discovered, however, that many cities and town that privatized their water are now trying to get back control, which can be costly.  A large revenue stream would be lost to the city if the water system were privatized, since water and sewer fees are over one tenth of the total budget.
    Charles Paidock, with Citizens Taking Action for public transit, stated that:  “It has already been discovered that the Mayor spent almost a year negotiating a back-door deal with a Canadian company for contracting out maintenance of CTA elevated cars.  I believe that it wasn’t intended so much to save money, but mainly to bust the transit union.  I’m concerned that the new bus rapid transit (BRT) lines will be sold and run by a private company.  There’s no telling what else the mayor is up to.”
    (708) 447-1547  walterb306@...
    (312) 714-7790  cpaidock@...
    (773) 504-1580  csklare@...
    General Information: