Meet Bill Alder - Author Who has Exonerated Joe Hill at TUC Labor Day Forum

  • laurel schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Please join us Sunday, upstairs in the Sanctuary for one of our best-ever celebrations of Labor Day at Third Unitarian Church.

      September 4 Bill Adler, will speak and sing about labor hero Joe Hill with his friend, colleague, and fellow musician, Bucky Halter, to join in the labor songs. Bill Adler’s articles have appeared in Esquire, Rolling Stone, Mother Jones, and many other publications. His latest book, is The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon. He has authored two additional books of narrative nonfiction: Land of Opportunity (Atlantic Monthly Press, 1995), Mollie’s Job (Scribner, 2000). Adler lives with his wife and son in Denver, Colorado and is son-in-law of our former interim minister, Jim Hobart.
      Bucky Halker, Ph.D., is a historian, songwriter, collector, and performer. He served as scholar-producer for the critically acclaimed, four-CD set, Folksongs of Illinois (University of Illinois, 2007-). He has more than a dozen other recordings to his credit. A music and labor historian, Halker is the author of For Democracy, Workers, and God: Labor Song-Poems and Labor Protest, 1865-1895 (University of Illinois, 1991). Halker has received numerous awards and fellowships and was recently awarded the Library of Congress-American Folklife Centers Archie Green fellowship to document ironworkers in Chicago.
      From the NYTimes: In 1914, Joe Hill was convicted of murder in Utah and sentenced to death by firing squad, igniting international controversy. Many believed Hill was innocent, condemned for his association with the Industrial Workers of the World - the radical Wobblies. Now, following five years of intensive investigation, William M. Adler gives us the first full-scale biography of Joe Hill, and presents never before published documentary evidence that comes as close as one can to definitively exonerating him. Hill’s gripping tale is set against a brief but electrifying moment in American history, between the century's turn and World War I, when the call for industrial unionism struck a deep chord among disenfranchised workers; when class warfare raged and capitalism was on the run. Hill was the union’s preeminent songwriter, and in death, he became organized labor's most venerated martyr, celebrated by Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan, and immortalized in the ballad "I Dreamed I Saw Joe Hill Last Night." Bill Adler's Joe Hill book was reviewed in the New York Times August 27 - a full 3/4 page in the front section. If you would like to read the review - including about what news Bill Adler found exonerating Joe Hill, look at this web site: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/us/27hill.html?src=twr