Re: [CACP-07] Re: Triangle Tragedy at 100 & Worker Rights - NEXT Thursday

  • laurel schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 12:34 PM
      I take it the address on both downloadable flyers should be corrected to read:  7521 N. Damen.
      I will note for later.

      Thanks, Laurel

      From: laurel schmidt <llambertschmidt@...>
      Subject: [CACP-07] Re: Triangle Tragedy at 100 & Worker Rights - NEXT Thursday
      To: "m20" <m20all@...>, noiraqwar@yahoogroups.com, "OPCTJ Announcements" <opctj@yahoogroups.com>, nwcpj@yahoogroups.com, "IllinoisGreensFocus" <IllinoisGreensFocus@yahoogroups.com>, "CodePinkChicago" <CACP-07@yahoogroups.com>, "Social ActionCom" <socialactioncom@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "mireille jalouneix" <mjalou@...>, "Sue Lodgen" <suelodgen@...>, "Deb Donovan" <debpaper@...>
      Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 2:25 PM

      Hi All.  Forgive me if my former email made you think this event was for today.
      peace,
      Laurel

      The Fire That Changed America:
      The Triangle Tragedy at 100 and the Importance of Worker Rights

      DATE: Thursday, April 7, 2011.
      TIME: 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM
      LOCATION: Roosevelt University's Gage Gallery, 18 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago

      Join us for a free program featuring a presentation by Professor Jo Ann Argersinger of Southern Illinois University. Her book, The Triangle Fire, tells the story of the March 25, 1911 fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in New York City. The fire took the lives of 146 mostly Jewish and Italian immigrant women. These garment workers, largely teenagers, were unable to escape because of locked exit doors and other inadequate safety protections. Many died jumping from high floors to the pavement below. Public outrage and grief over this horrific and preventable tragedy led to new work and safety legislation, rules and regulations throughout the country. The Triangle Fire was a defining moment in U.S. history that led to social reform and a robust labor movement.
      PROGRAM:

      • Professor Jo Ann Argersinger: Speaking on the history and significance of the Fire;

      • Poetry Reading;

      • Rima Lunin Schultz of Chicago Area Women’s History Council: Speaking on "The View From Chicago: Women Against Sweatshops in Era of Triangle Fire;"

      • Panel Discussion with workers on the job and a question and answer period.

      Download the event flyer HERE.
      FMI CONTACT: Diane Hurns at (847) 768-3413 or dhurns@...
      FOLLOWING THE PROGRAM: There will be a book signing by Prof. Argersinger and a screening of the American Experience show, "Triangle Fire," (PBS, 2011).

      ALSO: At 6:00 PM the Working Women's History Project Gala will present a new play on the Triangle Fire at Roosevelt Univ., 430 S. Michigan Ave, THE NINTH FLOOR DOOR: Blocked Justice of the Triangle Fire, by Mary Bonnett. There is an admission fee required for this event only--$25 in advance; $30 at the door. Students free with ID. Refreshments and a panel discussion on today's working conditions. Download their event flyer HERE. FMI Contact: jackie@....

      EVENT SPONSORS: American Society of Safety Engineers * Chicago Area Women's History Council * Chicago Labor and Arts Festival * Chicago Women's Liberation Union Herstory Project * Illinois Labor History Society * Jewish Labor Committee * Roosevelt University Dept. of History and New Deal Studies * UIC Dept. of History * Working Women’s History Project.

      Date: Thu, Apr 7th, 2011

      Time: 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm