August 29 Barbara Kessel will speak on Prison Reform at Third Unitarian

  • AllenM1043@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2010
      The Forum at Third Unitarian Church starts at 10:00AM.

      August 29 Barbara Kessel  will speak on the Books to Prisoners Project and her work in the prison reform movement. Barbara Kessel retired from teaching at Truman College in Chicago in 2004, moved to Urbana , and became involved with Quakers Peace and Service committee and with the newly forming Books to Prisoners group.  Through BtP she became committed to working with the program in the county jails and to dealing directly with Illinois Department of Corrections about state prisons, concerning mail, prison libraries and reform of Tamms C.C. (our own Guantanamo on the Mississippi , with solitary confinement 24/7). Through CU Citizens for Peace and Justice, she grew interested in what goes on in our county courtrooms, the use of tasers, and the police (mis)use of force.  Through the National Religious Campaign Against Torture, of which Quakers are members, she has been instrumental in getting them to expand their mission from the international front to include torture in our jails and prisons in the U.S.

      Third Unitarian Church is at 301 N Mayfield, Chicago - two blocks East and one block South of the Austin Green Line station.