OPCTJ 4th of July parade and picnic FINAL REMINDER

  • iglarmobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 2:59 PM
      Members and Friends,

      Please join us for the Oak Park Coalition for Truth and Justice 4th of July parade contingent and picnic

      PARADE: 1:00 am July 4, at Longfellow Park, Ridgeland and Adams. We will assemble between 12:00 and 12:30 pm on Adams between Ridgeland and Cuyler. Our assigned number is C-17. Look for the big OPCTJ banner.

      POTLUCK PICNIC:
      following parade, at 1102 B South Maple, Oak Park (red brick duplex at corner of Maple and Harvard, 2 blocks north of Roosevelt and l block east of Harlem. Call 708 218-1202 for more info or to make arrangements.)

      This year the 4th happens to fall on a Sunday, so the parade start time has been shifted to 1:00 pm.

      Last year we had a great contingent. Let's do it again this year to make a strong showing for the peace and justice movement and the campaign to end the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. We will be carrying the OPCTJ banner and signs and distributing handouts to folks along the parade route.

      We invite you to come and bring your family and friends. This is one of our best opportunities to reach a big chunk of the citizens of Oak Park.

      Parade details:
      The parade steps off at 1:00 pm, Sunday, July 4 from Longfellow Park at Ridgeland Avenue and Adams Street. The parade will march north on Ridgeland Avenue to Augusta Street, turning east to disperse near Whittier Elementary School at Harvey Avenue. Children's entertainment, sponsored by the Park District of Oak Park will be presented on the school grounds following the parade.

      We will have transportation back to parade start site area for those who wish to have a ride back.

      Picnic details:
      Potluck picnic at 1102 B South Maple, Oak Park immediately following parade. There will be some extra chairs but you might want to bring your own chairs. BYOB. To be environmentally conscious, please bring your own cloth napkin. (Some paper napkins will also be available for backup.) Iced tea, ice, hot dogs or hamburger and buns will be provided. See below for suggested potluck assignments by alphabet. For more information, call 708/447-1547

      Sign-up Sheet for Parade or Picnic:

      Parade:
      1. Reminder calls to members and friends to march (Please everyone do this)
      2. Day of parade logistics, car-pooling. We need some folks to relay cars to the parade end point. Can you volunteer?

      3. Volunteers to distribute literature along the parade route (lots of fun). If you can do this, please let me know. It helps to bring a cloth bag to carry flyers.

      Picnic:
      1. Pre-parade set up at 1102 B, South Maple, Oak Park (We have folks to do this, but extra help would be appreciated)

      2. Potluck dishes (suggested according to last name)
      A-I - Main or vegetable dish
      J-R - Fruit or snack
      S-Z - Desert or drink

      3. Clean up

      If you can help please call Beverley at 708/447-1547