sign the petition: hold fast food chains accountable

  • iglarmobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2010
      ACTION ALERT

      FIGHTING CORPORATE ABUSE OF OUR FOOD WHAT: SIGN ON-LINE PETITION & ASK FRIENDS TO DO SO ALSO.

      DESCRIPTION - Our children are getting sick from the food they eat. With the rapid expansion of fast food giants across the globe, the rates of obesity and diet-related disease are rising at an alarming rate. Please join me in signing the petition demanding that fast food giants like Burger King and McDonald's stop aggressively marketing to our children, and blocking our right to know basic nutritional facts about their products...

      CAMPAIGN GOAL - Call on fast food corporations to:

      1) Stop fast food advertising, promotion and sponsorship that appeals to children and teenagers -
      a)stop product tie-ins with kid's favorite cartoons and celebrities;
      b)stop targeting children and teens on social networking sites.

      2) Stop manipulating public health policy and nutrition science e.g., by fighting fast food menu labeling and transfat bans;

      3) Provide complete, unbiased and accurate information about the health risks of fast food e.g. amount of salt in Big Mac; whether salads are really healthier;

      4) Reduce the negative health impacts of fast food by letting nutrition experts warn people;

      5) Do not interfere with people's right to decide whether or where fast food will be sold in their communities e.g. near schools.

      WHY:
      1) since the petition deals with children's health, it will generate broad public support;

      2) it requires only a minute time;

      3) we must stop the marketing of harmful food to our kids.

      HOW:
      1) Take a moment to SIGN this petition
      http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2215/t/8036/p/dia/action/public/index.s js?action_KEY=618

      2) ASK OTHERS to sign. After you hit "sign petition," a letter comes up that you can forward to yourself to then forward to family &friends.

      3) Willing to do more? Contact
      Leila 857-413-1982 or
      Tom 708/386-0869 or
      CAI office 800-688-8797.

      THE CAMPAIGN: Campaign led by CORPORATE ACCOUNTABILITY INTERNATIONAL, a small but effective international membership organization that has waged successful campaigns for over 30 years to change corporate behavior. Formerly known as INFACT, it waged a successful Nestle boycott over the sale of baby formula to poor mothers in the third world. Other campaigns involve: worldwide campaign on tobacco advertising; and Think Outside the Bottle, exposing the truth behind bottled water.