Subtle Technologies Festival Investigates Sustainability

  • Estelle Carol
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2009
      13th Annual Subtle Technologies Festival Explores Sustainability
      Call for Submissions
      Deadline:  January 9 2010

      Festival Dates: University of Toronto June 3 - 6  2010

      It will be nearly half a century since Rachel Carson's book "Silent
      Spring", just over five since Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth", and less
      than three years since Anya Hindmarch's "I'm not a plastic bag" eco-bag
      hit the shelves.  The grassroots have taken hold fostering mainstream
      fashion and a green life style.  This may be a victory of ideology, yet
      at the same time, has matured into a new social norm that suspiciously
      smells of capitalism.  The replacements are still a chain in
      consumption.  Ecological compact fluorescent light bulbs contain
      mercury, and biofuels have an impact beyond ethanol production.  If
      sustainability is narrowly defined as a closed system that produces what
      it consumes, by all means, the boundary conditions leave us hanging,
      looking for more.  What can this more, be?

      For this years Subtle Technologies Festival we want to explore
      sustainability through a multidisciplinary lens.We want to investigate
      the role decentralization, diversity and societal power dynamics play in
      our attempts at maintaining a sustainable future. Where does the death
      of languages, cultures and peoples fit into the sustainability
      discussion? We look forward to critical discussions that explore the
      meaning of sustainability in this era of ecological and global health.
      We will be discussing the science and technology behind sustainable
      practises and design as well as the science behind some of the events
      and circumstances that have driven us to seek sustainable solutions.
      What role does the artist play in bringing forth new layers of
      understandings in this discussion?

      For our 13th annual Subtle Technologies Festival, we would like to
      invite works that address sustainability.  As in previous years, we
      invite submissions from various practises.  For 12 years Subtle
      Technologies has provided a forum where participants share their
      projects, theories and technologies around an annual theme.  Subtle
      Technologies is also a place where artists, scientists, and other
      innovators inspire, inform and generate new concepts and tools.
      Specifically this year we are looking for presentations for our
      symposium (30 to 45 minutes), works for our exhibitions, video and film
      submissions for
      screenings, workshop suggestions and partners who are interested in
      collaborating with us. Some example areas of exploration include:
      sustainable design and architecture practises, global warming
      discussions, climate change refugees, sustainable agriculture, water and
      other resource management, cultural preservation and sustainability,
      politics of sustainability, material science for sustainable design,
      alternative energy systems, corporate responsibility, co-operatives and
      microfinance, biodiversity conservation, preservation of indigenous
      knowledge,  Please make a submission on our website at
      http://www.subtletechnologies.com by January 9 2010. We encourage
      applicants to look at our archives to gain an understanding of the types
      of programming we support.

      Subtle Technologies is grateful for the continuing support of the Canada
      Council for the Arts, Toronto Arts Council, Ontario Arts Council, and
      Ontario Trillium Foundation

      --

      Jim Ruxton
      Director of Programs