ICPJE Conference -- Andy Thayer, Rich Whitney, Riane Eisler, Dean Baker & Many More!!!

  • laurel schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2009
      Dear Friends:

      Exciting news!!  Andy Thayer has agreed to add some spice and shake up the Peace panel at the ICJPE Conference next weekend.   Don't miss this exciting event!

      Saturday morning's Sustainability panel will feature Dean Baker on Economic Sustainability and the Green party's Rich Whitney and others Sustainability in local, regional and national communities.

      For details on the late afternoon Justice panel and Friday night keynote addresses by Riane Eisler and others see the details below -- and SEE YOU THERE!!

      Peace, cheer, solidarity...
      Laurel
      ICJPE Coordinating Committee

      *** Please Forward Widely ***

      ~ PUBLIC WELCOME ~

      Ending the Cycle of War - Beyond Corporate Dominance:
      Which Way Forward for the Justice, Peace and Environment Movement?

      Call to the
      Illinois Coalition for Justice Peace and the Environment
      4th Annual Conference
      April 17 & 18 2009
      People’s Church, Chicago, Illinois

      Friday, April 17th and Saturday, April 18th
      Peoples Church • 941 W. Lawrence Ave • Chicago, IL

      Friday Night Panel
      7:00pm - 9:00pm
      Will feature distinguished speakers:

      Riane Eisler
      Dean Baker
      Robert Naiman
      followed by reception with cash bar

      Friday Night - Requested Donation - $10
      Saturday Conference - $25/Students - $15
      Saturday Lunch $10 reserved in advance

      Saturday Conference
      7:45 am - 8:30 am Registration/Welcome/Logistics
      8:30 am-9:50am Coalition Business Meeting-Committee Formation

      10am- 6:00pm
      Three Panel Discussions
      each followed by breakout sessions on
      Sustainability, Peace and Justice

      conference@... • 312.480.1331 or 708.447.9577

      We invite the activist community of Illinois’ greater progressive movement to join the 145 member groups of the Illinois Coalition for Justice, Peace and the Environment to this year's ICJPE Conference.

      This year will be different as we spotlight our theme…

      Ending the Cycle of War - Beyond Corporate Dominance:
      Which Way Forward for the Justice, Peace and Environment Movement?

      in a keynote panel of distinguished speakers.
      ….And we offer three panels of speakers in a solutions driven look at
      Peace, Justice and Sustainability
      We call on a wide spectrum of local groups as well as friends and allies from near and far to join in a solutions driven conference where we promote a world of justice, peace and sustainability, celebrate a diverse and interconnected vision for our planet’s future because….
      • There is so much to do: economic collapse, planet in peril, widening wars;
      • We need to find inspiration in the skills and ideas that we as a movement possess. Our collective skills are essential to each other’s work;
      • A wealth of peace and justice efforts are right here close to home and we need to raise awareness of these opportunities for activism;
      • We are stronger when we work together and smarter when we learn from each other and
      • The change that was exhibited at the polls last November can not manifest itself into progressive change for our communities unless we continue to move or push forward.

      ICJPEmember groups posted an incredible 210 New Actions on the website in the last 12 months. However, these actions represent a fraction of the movement and actions that occur daily in our broader progressive community. This Conference/Exposition aims to reach out with invitations to underrepresented communities as well as to the environmental/sustainability movements to enrich and broaden our work.

      We invite your input and involvement in the upcoming Conference:
      • Applications for Tables and/or booths (see below for details)
      • Proposals for Working Groups that carry our vision and activism though the networks of communications to the corridors or power and into the streets. Deadline for Proposals is April 10th
      Send these suggestions to il_conference2009@...

      Please check out our website at ICJPE.org to learn more about us and our many member groups. Our Structure and Statement of Values are accessible at Contact>About Us on the website or directly from this link: http://www.icjpe.org/uploads/resources/1199558172.pdf. This is an ideal time to give us a first or another look.

      Make plans to come to Chicago! We’ll see you soon

      Conference Details:

      Panelists - Friday, April 17 - 7pm
      RIANE EISLER is an eminent social scientist, attorney, and author best known for her bestseller The Chalice and The Blade: Our History, Our Future. Her newest book, The Real Wealth of Nations: Creating a Caring Economics – proposes a new approach to economics that gives visibility and value to the most essential human work: the work of caring for people and planet.Her ideas have inspired thousands of scholars and social activists. Her pioneering work in human rights expanded the focus of international organizations to include the rights of women and children.
      DEAN BAKER is co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington, DC. He is frequently cited in economics reporting in major media outlets. He writes a weekly column for the Guardian Unlimited (UK), and his blog, Beat the Press, features commentary on economic reporting. His latest book, Plunder and Blunder: The Rise and Fall of the Bubble Economy (PoliPoint Press, 2009), which chronicles the growth and collapse of the stock and housing bubbles. He received his Ph.D in economics from the University of Michigan.
      ROBERT NAIMAN is Senior Policy Analyst at Just Foreign Policy. He edits the Just Foreign Policy daily news summary. He blogs on Huffington Post about U.S. foreign policy, with a particular focus on the Middle East, where he was a student at Birzeit University and a volunteer with Christian Peacemaker Teams and Voices in the Wilderness. He has Masters degrees in Economics and Mathematics from the University of Illinois.

      Draft Agenda for Saturday, April 18
      7:45 am - 8:30 am Registration/Welcome/Logistics
      Part I - Coalition Business
      8:30 am-9:50am Coalition Business Meeting

      Part II - Modules
      Modules will consist of four panelist/speakers with expertise/experience in their indicated subject areas. During the first hour, panelists will each make a presentation to the full conference.  During the second hour breakout sessions, conference attendees may choose which panelist to follow to ask questions or experience in depth discussion in a separate, smaller setting.

      10:00 am - 12:00 pm 1st Module - Sustainability
      10:00 am - 11:00 am Panel - Sustainability
      11:00 am - 11:50 noon Breakout Sessions
      Dean Baker - The Economics of Sustainability
      Rich Whitney /Paula Bradshaw - Bioneers /Transportation
      Julie Samuels - Openlands Project
      Lili Molina - Little Village Environmental Justice Organization-Sustainable Community/Urban
      Beth Drucker -- Sustainable Community/suburban

      12:00 - 12:45 pm  Lunch

      12:45 - 2:45  2nd Module - Peace
      12:45 - 1:45 pm Panel
      1:45 - 2:35 pm 2nd Breakout sessions
      Jennifer Bing Canar - Middle East
      Eunice Escobar - Latin And Central America
      Robert Naiman - Just Foreign Policy
      Andy Thayer - CCAWR

      2:45 - 4:45  3rd Module - Justice
      2:45 - 3:45 Panel
      3:45 - 4:35 pm  Breakout sessions
      Joey Mogul - People’s Law Office
      UE or Republic Window Representative
      Susan Compernolle - Immigration Rights
      Brent Mesick - Civil Liberties/Constitution

      4:45 - 5:15 Full Assembly/Report back
      Final Announcements/Closing
      5:15pm-6:00pm Geographical/Issue Areas Organizing Meetings

      ~ PUBLIC WELCOME ~

      REGISTRATION FORM
      return by mail to ICJPE c/o Marcia Bernsten, 1213 Maple, Evanston, IL 60202
      Please make checks payable to ICJPE or
      Register online at icjpe.org
      Return this form or register online by April 10 if possible.
      Admission will also be available at the door on a space available basis.

      Name:______________________________________

      Address:____________________________________

      Telephone:___________________________________

      Email:_______________________________________

      Organization (if any):____________________________

      Is Organization a member of the ICJPE?____________ If not would you like it to be?

      If your organization is a member, who will pick up the voting cards for the business meeting on Saturday morning? _______________________

      ____ Enclosed is $10 for the Friday night panel

      ____Enclosed is $25 for the Saturday conference

      ____Enclosed is $15 for the Saturday conference student fee

      ____Enclosed is $10 for the Saturday lunch

      ____Enclosed is $45 for the whole conference lunch included

      ____Enclosed is $35 for the whole conference lunch included/Student price

      ____I need a ride, please call me. ____________phone number

      ____I can offer a ride, please call me. ____________phone number

      ____I need housing or something else. ____________phone number

      ____I can provide housing . ____________phone number

      TABLE APPLICATION

      (return by mail to ICJPE c/o Andrew Lehman, 1213 Maple, Evanston, IL 60202
      Please make checks payable to ICJPE or
      Register on site at icjpe.org or by emailing andrew@...
      Return this by April 10 if possible.
      Table space is limited and will be assigned on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS and will be available for display both Friday night and all day Saturday.

      Name:___________________________________

      Address:__________________________________

      Telephone:________________________________

      Email:______________________________________

      Organization (if any):____________________________

      ____Enclosed is $25 for a 4 X 3.5 Table

      ____Enclosed is $35 for a 8 X 3.5 Table
      with a possible modification to only 4X4s if we get 16 or more takers

      Please email your questions to il_conference2009@...

      This email was sent to you because you have registered on ICJPE.
      If you would like to "opt-out" from receiving future emails please do the following:

      1. Login to the website: http://icjpe.org
      2. Go to "Your Account"
      3. Edit your profile and update your email preferences

      If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.