UFPJ: National Days of Local Action on Afghanistan, April 6-9

  • Bamshad Mobasher
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      From UFPJ

      TONIGHT!

      Don't forget that there is still time to sign-up for the UFPJ Conference Call with Tom Hayden, scheduled for 9:00 PM tonight, Thursday.

      The cost is $10, and you can sign-up here.

      On April 4, while our sister coalitions will be marching against NATO expansion in Europe, United For Peace and Justice will March on Wall Street with a demand for an end to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and a just, fair, and democratic solution to the deepening economic crisis. This march will be a part of our 'Beyond War, A New Economy Is Possible' campaign.

      Immediately following the April 4 March on Wall Street, United For Peace and Justice has called for April 6-9 Nationally Coordinated Days of Local Actions for Peace in Afghanistan. The goal is to build public pressure to respond to the Obama administration's further escalation of the war and occupation in Afghanistan.

      Now, we need a strong grassroots movement that can draw the lessons of six years of war in Iraq: military action will deepen the humanitarian and political crisis in Iraq and Afghanistan and the economic crisis here at home. Next week's Days of Local Action seeks to build that movement and to turn it into a real political force that will create a new public consensus on the need to de-escalate and withdraw troops from Afghanistan.

      United For Peace and Justice calls for:

      Local actions on April 6-9, which can include educational events, vigils, debates, group discussions, film showings, and Congressional visits, will be the first step in this new campaign for peace in Afghanistan. We strongly urge your groups to use the resources provided by UFPJ and our Afghanistan/Pakistan Working Group to help organize and educate for your events and activities. Below are several kinds of resources that you can use:

      UFPJ's Legislative Working Group is calling for visits to members of Congress during their recess, April 6-20. These visits should focus on Afghanistan, Iraq, and the military budget. Talking points, background materials, and a summary of UFPJ legislative concerns will be sent out soon for use during those visits. You can report on your Congressional visits here.