March 13 - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Symposium

  • rvpokorny@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2009

      The Annual Clarence Darrow Commemorative Symposium Friday, March 13 from 10 a.m. to noon (see attached flyer for details).  Our keynote speaker is Daniel Cornfield, Professor of Sociology at Vanderbilt University and co-editor of the recently published, "Labor in the New Urban Battlegrounds: Local Solidarity in a Global Economy."  Professor Cornfield will speak about today's challenges to the labor movement, with a focus on labor solidarity issues under conditions of high immigration and economic recession.

      A representative from United Electrical Workers Local 1110 also will speak.  Last December, members of Local 1110 staged a successful sit-in at Republic Windows and Doors to protest the plant's closing and layoffs.

      This is the 115th anniversary of the Pullman Strike, which also occurred at a time of high immigration and economic recession.  The dynamics of the Pullman Strike was a key factor in Darrow's decision to leave corporate law and focus on the public interest.

      Join us for an interesting and provocative discussion.  Please forward this announcement and flyer to others.

         The event begins at 10 a.m. by the lagoon behind the Museum of Science and Industry for an annual wreath tossing ceremony;
         the speakers program will be in the Rosenwald Auditorium of the West Pavilion of the Museum and begin at 10:45.

       Thanks so much.

      Anita Weinberg
      Co-chair, Clarence Darrow Commemorative Committee

    • Karen Heart
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2009
        Thursday, March 5, 2009
        at 7 p.m.

        "Water Only Seems Free"
        at the Oak Park Public Library

        How much does it cost our environment when we turn on the faucet? Where does all that water go after the Water Reclamation District treats it?

        Learn about the costs and the benefits of water reclamation at a presentation given by Debra Shore, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District, on Thursday, March 5, at 7 p.m. at the Oak Park Public Library. This presentation is co-sponsored by the Green Community Center, the Chicago Chapter of the Sierra Club, and the Oak Park Public Library.

        It may surprise you to learn that our Water Reclamation District uses more than $30 million worth of greenhouse-gas-producing electricity each year, mostly to pump water to and from treatment plants. The treatment plants do not completely disinfect the water, either; to do so would both cost more and potentially pollute more, depending on the source of electricity used.

        Water use presents serious, thorny issues, including ethical issues about water justice - water for just us or water for all? Should the Water Reclamation District disinfect wastewater to improve water quality for recreation in the Chicago area waterways? For more information, please contact Karen Heart at (630)452-5251 or KarenEarthDocent@....
        --
        Green Community Center
        "Helping people live sustainably"