Fw: UFPJ Organizes April 4 National Mobilization In NYC
- From: UFPJ Action Alerts <webmaster@...>
"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. April 4, 1967
March with UFPJ on Saturday, April 4th
New York City
It is Time to End the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
It is Time to Address the Economic Crisis by Cutting Military Spending
On April 4, 1967, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his historic speech against the war in Vietnam at NYC's Riverside Church. One year later, Dr. King was assassinated in Memphis while there to support striking sanitation workers. Dr. King's work linked the most pressing issues of his day; his life was about taking public action in the service of the struggles for equality, freedom, justice, and peace.
Today, people from every walk of life and every corner of this country are both filled with the possibilities of hope and change and struggling under the worst financial crisis of this generation. This year, on Saturday, April 4, we call on all people to take up Dr. King's example of public action and join us in the streets of New York City's financial center as we renew our common commitment to move this country in a new direction.
We will march on April 4 because the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan must be ended now! We will march on April 4 because a critical piece of addressing the economic crisis must be cutting military spending, starting with ending the flow of our tax dollars into these wars and occupations. We will march on April 4 because 'Beyond War, A New Economy Is Possible!'
We will march on April 4 filled with hope. Now is the time that our movements for racial justice and economic equality; our movements against the wars and occupations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine and elsewhere; our movements for a new economy based on people's needs, green union jobs and sustainability will ALL come together to say YES WE CAN! Yes We Can move beyond war! Yes We Can build a new world of justice, equality and peace!
Today, we ask you to join United for Peace and Justice as we prepare for this timely mobilization. Scores of organizations have already endorsed our call, and, in the coming weeks, many more will be signing on. Click here to read the full call for our April 4 mobilization.
Here's how you can help:
- Share this message far and wide, help get the word out that we are marching for peace and justice on April 4 in New York City.
- Make your plans now to join us in New York City on Saturday, April 4. In the coming days, we will have logistical details posted on the UFPJ website so be sure to look for that information.
- If you are part of a group that wants to add your name to growing list of endorsing organizations, please click here.
- Make the largest financial donation you can to help ensure the success of this mobilization! Over the past six years, we have counted on people like you to provide the money needed to organize our national mobilizations. Each time, you came through -- and now we hope we can count on you once again!
In these next six weeks, United For Peace and Justice will pour our heart and souls into the April 4 mobilization. We hope you, too, see the importance of this effort and that you will contribute time and energy to helping us build for April 4th!