book discussion: Deep Economy, Thurs, Feb 26

  • Ben Iglar-Mobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2009
      Book Discussion and Strategy Group

      You are invited to attend an open discussion of Bill
      McKibben's "Deep Ecomomy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable
      Future," 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 26, 2009 at the Oak Park Main
      Library, 834 Lake Street, Oak Park, 2nd floor Book Discussion Room.

      "Masterfully crafted, deply thoughtful, and mind-expanding."
      --Los Angeles Times

      In this powerful and provocative manifesto, Bill McKibben offers the
      biggest challenge in a generation to the prevailing view of our
      economy. "Deep Economy" makes the compelling case for moving
      beyond "growth" as the paramount economic ideal and pursuing
      prosperity in a more local direction, with regions producing more of
      their own food, generating more of their own energy, and even
      creating more of their own culture and entertainment. Our purchases
      need not be at odds with the things we truly values, McKibben argues,
      and the more we nurture the essential humanity of our economy, the
      more we will recapture our own.

      For those who have not had a chance to read McKibben's book, there
      will be an overview presentation and handouts.

      The discussion is part of a series sponsored by the Oak Park
      Coalition for Truth and Justice.

      Hope you can attend this up-coming meeting. Bring a friend.

      Feel free to call or email me if you have any questions about the
      meeting.

      Beverley
      708/447-1547