Fw: Chicago's Annual Hiroshima/Nagasaki Commemoration

  • laurel schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2008
      Dear Friends:� This message is forwarded at the request of Jack Kelly of North Suburban Peace Initiative.� Please attend if you can.
      Peace,
      Laurel

      Please join us

      Saturday, August 9th, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.

      for Chicago�s Annual Hiroshima/Nagasaki Commemoration at THE HENRY MOORE SCULPTURE, "NUCLEAR ENERGY" at the University of Chicago Campus, on Ellis Avenue between 56th and 57th Streets. This is the site of the first sustained nuclear reaction in 1942

      ON THIS HISTORIC DAY, we will remember the hundreds of
      thousands of Japanese civilians who lost
      their lives to the Atomic Bomb. We will look back on the madness of nuclear proliferation during the Cold War. We will face the current
      reality: the continuing spread of nuclear weapons and the danger of a nuclear weapon being used by a rogue state or a terrorist group, with catastrophic consequences for the world. We will focus on the vital importance of the American public�s need to demand that our government join with other nations to stop the spread of nuclear weapons and to dismantle existing stockpiles. Speakers: * JACK KELLY, Midwest Coordinator, U.S. Campaign for a Nuclear Weapons Free World (www.nuclearweaponsfree.org) Jack is also the president of the North Suburban Peace Initiative (NSPI). * LE ANNE CLAUSEN, Director, Center for Faith and Peacemaking, Hyde Park Le Anne is a founder of SeminaryAction (www.seminaryaction.org), a group of students at Hyde Park seminaries working on social justice and other issues * ED McMANUS, Chicago
      Area Chapter, Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR) (www.forusa.org) Ed has served as chair of FOR's National Council for the past four years and led a FOR delegation to Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 2005. This event is being sponsored by: Fellowship of Reconciliation and American Friends Service Committee.It is being co-sponsored by: Hyde Parkers for Peace and Justice, West Suburban Faith-Based Peace Coalition, North Suburban Peace Initiative, Center for Faith and Peacemaking. In case of rain, the event will move to Augustana Lutheran Church, 55th and Woodlawn. For more information, contact Ed McManus, mcmanus06@....