9/23: Books and Censorship Forum, 3rd Unitarian Church (10 a.m.)

  • Marie Mahoney
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2007
      Please join us at Third Unitarian Church, Sunday, 9/23, 10 a.m. for a forum:

      EVIL MANNERS: BOOKS AND CENSORSHIP IN 21st CENTURY AMERICA

      Deborah Caldwell-Stone, deputy director of the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom, will present. Stone will outline the problem of censorship in our public libraries, schools, and government institutions. She will talk about current controversies, including the U.S. Bureau of Prisons' initiative to remove disfavored religious works from prison chapel libraries. Banned Books Week, ALA's annual celebration of our freedom to read, will take place from September 29 to October 6. Banned Books Week stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints to all who wish to read them.

      Third Unitarian Church is at 301 N. Mayfield Avenue in Chicago. Two blocks east of Austin Blvd. and one block south of the CTA Green Line (Lake Street El). See www.thirdunitarianchurch.org for more information.