Film: The Torture Question, Mar 25

  • Estelle Carol and Bob Simpson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2007
      Oak Park Coalition for Truth & Justice presents:
      FREE film series
      Cosponsored by the Oak Park Public Library
      Veterans Room, Oak Park Main Library, 834 Lake Street, Oak Park

      The Torture Question
      Sunday, March 25, 2 pm

      This PBS documentary makes clear that Secretary of Defense Donald
      Rumsfeld bears direct responsibility for the brutal methods of
      interrogation used against US prisoners. In a climate where the mass
      media functions primarily as a White House and Pentagon propaganda
      tool, this report is a positive and refreshing exception. This film
      provides a visually harrowing depiction of the torture and abuse
      sanctioned and encouraged by the Bush administration and the military
      leadership who placed culpability on "a few bad apples" in the ranks.
      www.afsc.org/newengland/bigcat/ttl.php?FID=1350
      Dorothy Pagos of 8th day Center will lead a discussion following the screening.

      In Debt We Trust
      Sunday, April 29, 2 pm

      Danny Schechter, the Emmy-winning former ABC News and CNN producer,
      has a new hard-hitting documentary that investigates why so many
      Americans are being strangled by debt. It is a journalistic
      confrontation with what former Reagan advisor Kevin Phillips calls
      "Financialization"- the "powerful emergence of a debt-and-credit
      industrial complex." While many Americans may be "maxing out" on
      credit cards, there is a deeper story - power is shifting into fewer
      hands - with frightening consequences. The facts Schechter sprinkles
      throughout are mind-boggling.
      www.indebtwetrust.org
      A discussion will follow the screening.

      Save these Sundays at 2:00 pm: June 24, and July 30, 2007

      We are people who care deeply about our country. We urge our fellow
      citizens to be true to American ideals of freedom, justice, and
      democracy. Everyone is invited to particpate:
      * Monthly political discussions at 8-9 pm on second Thursdays
      * General meetings at 7-9 pm on the second and fourth Thursdays
      At the Oak Park Main Library, second floor book discussion room. More
      information, events and resources are at www.opctj.org,
      contact@... or call John at 708-524-1230.
      --

      Graphic design and illustration for print and the web
      http://www.carol-simpson.com

      "Don't believe everything you think."