Rare human rights event this Sunday in Oak Park!

  • Russ Conte
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      My apologies for the short notice. I'm the Coordinator for the Oak Park, Illinois chapter of Amnesty International. This Sunday, February 4th, 2007, Amnesty will bring a special speaker to the Chicago area. This is under the general theme of universal justice, which is very important to us in Amnesty. Here are the details:

      The Case against Hissène Habré: Universal Jurisdiction and a Survivor's Struggle for Justice

      Please join us for a conversation with Souleymane Guengueng, torture survivor, human rights advocate and founder of the Chadian Association of Victims of Political Repression and Crime.

      Mr. Guengueng is part of an international campaign to hold Hissène Habré, former President of the African country of Chad, accountable for the torture and crimes against humanity which were committed by agents of his government during the 1980s.

      Mr. Guengueng and other survivors have been struggling for 16 years to bring Hissène Habré to justice. Because they were unable to obtain justice in Chad, they filed a criminal complaint Senegal, where Hissène Habré has been living in exile. A judge in Senegal subsequently indicted Habré under the principle of universal jurisdiction. Universal jurisdiction allows courts in any country to prosecute crimes of this nature regardless of where they were committed.

      The case against Hissène Habré represents a milestone in international justice. If Hissène Habré is prosecuted in Senegal, it would be the first time the courts of one African state prosecuted the former leader of another for crimes committed against his own people.

      This event is sponsored by AIUSA's Program for International Justice and Accountability. Come learn about international justice and how you can help hold those responsible for the worst crimes under international law accountable.

      There will be a Q&A session afterward, and a reception will follow.

      The specifics of the event are:

      Sunday, February 4th, 2007, starting at 5:00 p.m. Unity Temple in Oak Park, Illinois 875 Lake Street Oak Park, IL

      Directions and transit information to Unity Temple can be found on their web site:

      www.unitytemple.org

      Everyone is invited, you do not have to be a member of Amnesty International to attend. The event is open to one and all.

      I hope to see many people there. Again, I apologize for the short notice, and hopefully we can have a strong turnout!

      Best wishes, and keep up the great work,

      Russ Conte