'An Inconvenient Truth' coming to the Lake

  • Valerie & Ben Iglar-Mobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2006
      Friday, June 16, opening of 'An Inconvenient Truth' in Oak Park
      http://www.climatecrisis.net/findatheater/ait_theatersbystate.pdf

      Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb. If the vast majority of
      the world's scientists are right, we have just ten years to avert a
      major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tail-spin
      of epic destruction involving extreme weather, floods, droughts,
      epidemics and killer heat waves beyond anything we have ever
      experienced.

      If that sounds like a recipe for serious gloom and doom -- think
      again. From director Davis Guggenheim comes the Sundance Film
      Festival hit, AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH, which offers a passionate and
      inspirational look at one man's fervent crusade to halt global
      warming's deadly progress in its tracks by exposing the myths and
      misconceptions that surround it. That man is former Vice President Al
      Gore, who, in the wake of defeat in the 2000 election, re-set the
      course of his life to focus on a last-ditch, all-out effort to help
      save the planet from irrevocable change. In this eye-opening and
      poignant portrait of Gore and his "traveling global warming show,"
      Gore also proves himself to be one of the most misunderstood
      characters in modern American public life. Here he is seen as never
      before in the media - funny, engaging, open and downright on fire
      about getting the surprisingly stirring truth about what he calls
      our "planetary emergency" out to ordinary citizens before it's too
      late.

      With 2005, the worst storm season ever experienced in America just
      behind us, it seems we may be reaching a tipping point - and Gore
      pulls no punches in explaining the dire situation. Interspersed with
      the bracing facts and future predictions is the story of Gore's
      personal journey: from an idealistic college student who first saw a
      massive environmental crisis looming; to a young Senator facing a
      harrowing family tragedy that altered his perspective, to the man who
      almost became President but instead returned to the most important
      cause of his life - convinced that there is still time to make a
      difference.

      With wit, smarts and hope, AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH ultimately brings
      home Gore's persuasive argument that we can no longer afford to view
      global warming as a political issue - rather, it is the biggest moral
      challenges facing our global civilization.

      http://www.climatecrisis.net/