Week of Peace Vigils-Marking 3rd Anniversary

  • Dave Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Folks,

      Please join us as you're able, at these important vigils in Batavia, marking the 3rd anniversary of the war in Iraq.

      -Dave Martin,

      West Suburban Faith-based Peace Coalition

      Cost of War Vigils - Batavia

      Daily, March 10 - March 17

      at Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert's Office

      27 N. River Street, Batavia, IL

      Join the Anti-War Majority in an unprecedented 7 days of sustained daily peace vigils. Stand up for peace with over twenty community, peace, labor, and church groups from across the west suburbs & Chicago, working to stop the war and bring the troops home. These vigils are a concrete way to speak your conscience against the thousands of lives lost and billions of dollars squandered, that are desperately needed here at home. Please join us for as many hours as you are able, throughout the week.

      We call upon our leaders to stop this war.

      Please come and stand with us. Make your voice heard.

      Opening Kick-off Rally:

      with Kathy Kelly and other speakers tba on Friday, March 10.

      7 p.m. Faith Church of the Brethren.

      613 N. Van Buren Street, Batavia

      We will process to Hastert's at 7:45 p.m.

      Join Us Daily (3 hour shifts)

      7am - 7pm Daily,

      On Wilson Street (near River St)

      from the Fox River Bridge East to Washington St.

      Throughout the day, people will staff 3 hour shifts, at a memorial vigil along Wilson Street near Mr. Hastert's office. He'll place coffins and boots representing the US soldiers killed and we'll place shoes, representing the 100,000 Iraqi civilians killed. We hope to erect a Peace Camp, tent, chairs, warming site, etc, to anchor and support this work. Stop by and visit us when you can, or sign up for specific times. All support is appreciated.

      Daily Vigil presence

      3-7pm Each Day

      Join programmed vigils led by these local organizations:

      Saturday, March 11 - Pax Christi and Women in Black

      Sunday, March 12- Fox Valley Citizens for Peace and Justice

      Monday, March 13-DeKalb Interfaith Network for Peace and Justice

      Tuesday, March 14-Greater Aurora Peace and Justice

      Wednesday, March 15-West Suburban Faith-based Peace Coalition

      Thursday, March 16-Lombard Mennonite Church

      Closing Rally, Friday, March 17, 10am -12 noon

      Three years is too long. 2300 military casualties and 100,000 Iraqi civilians killed is too many!

      Be the turning point. Come join us in Batavia!

      For more information:

      Email wsfpc@... or call 630-768-9305 or 630-618-6631