October Peace Series: starts Fri. Oct. 7th

  • Dave Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2005
      Friends,
      I want to invite you to attend this upcoming peace series. It will run each Friday night in October, exploring important issues relating to the War in Iraq. It promises to be insightful and thought provoking, committed to fostering greater work toward ending this war. Each program will include prayer, song, featured speaker(s) and small group discussion. The programs will run from 7-9pm at the Lombard Mennonite Church, 528 E. Madison St, Lombard, For further info, call 630-627-5310. (a printable flyer is attached)
      -Dave Martin

      October Peace Series:
      A Christian Response to War in Iraq
      October 7: What Might God Think of the Iraq War?

      Dr. Calvin Morris, Executive Director of The Community Renewal Society in Chicago, will explore a Christian response to the Iraq War from the just war theory perspective. The pacifist position of the "peace church" tradition will also be examined.

      October 14: Iraq: Should We Stay or Should We Go?

      Strategies will be considered for remaining in Iraq and for withdrawing troops as soon as possible. Candidates for the US Congress' 6th District will be our featured speakers in this lively conversation.

      October 21: Why Is the U.S. Hated in the Middle East?

      Dr. Ghada Hashem Talhami, professor of Middle East Studies & Politics at Lake Forest College, will address this commonly-asked question. Dr. Talhami, born in Jordan to Palestinian parents, is an accomplished author and public speaker.

      October 28: How Can People of Faith Respond?

      Exploring how we might can take concrete action to end the war. Featuring Rev. Michael McConnell, UCC minister and American Friends Service Committee's Great Lakes Region director, and Dave Martin, West Suburban Faith-based Peace Coalition director and LMC Peace Committee chair.

      Program Sponsored by Lombard Mennonite Church and West Suburban Faith-based Peace Coalition
      Co-Sponsored by: American Friends Service Committee, Fellowship of Reconciliation (Chicago Chapter), Lombard Mennonite Peace Center, Pax Christi (Illinois), Wheaton College Plowshares Group, Parish Partners for Peace & Justice, and York Center Church of the Brethren (list in formation)