Fiesta Benefit June 5

  • llambertschmidt@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Fiesta Luncheon to Benefit Medical aid for Nicaragua and Honduras!

      Dear Friends:
      The Social Action committee of Third Unitarian Church will hold our eighth Fiesta Luncheon
      Sunday June 5 at 12:15 pm
      Third Unitarian Church
      301 N. Mayfield, Chicago
      773-626-9385
      $7.00 Adults, $3.50 Children, $16.00 Families
      This year's Fiesta Luncheon will benefit the work of Dr. Juan Almendares in Hondurans and send medical aid to Nicaragua, one of the most impoverished countries in the world. Bring your appetites and bring your maracas! It will be a tasty, fine time.
      Dr. Juan Almendares is an internationally known Honduran medical doctor, human rights activist, environmental leader and alternative medicine practitioner, recognized for his work in the treatment of victims of torture. A victim of repression and torture himself, Dr. Almendares, also directs a community-directed peace organization, COHAPAZ, to organize protest movements against transnational companies that impinge upon and exploit, rather than assist, the lives of Hondurans. His Honduran Health Center.(HHC) founded with the assistance of SAC members, is a Tegucigalpa-based health clinic that provides free health examinations and consultations in various urban barrios and health brigades to needy rural communities.
      For years our work with Nicaragua Medical Alliance has sent urgently needed medical supplies to Nicaragua turning each dollar donated into many more needed supplies. This year, our help is needed as much as ever since we now must use resources within Nicaragua itself to deliver aid. & medical aid to Nicaragua. Hope Little, who has spent many years raising funds for Nicaraguan medical aid, will speak at the luncheon.

      Directions: Third Unitarian Church is located two blocks east and one block south of the CTA Green line Austin Ave. stop. By car, exit the Eisenhower expressway at Austin Ave., proceed 1 mi north to Corcoran Pl., go east two blocks to Mayfield then one block south to 301 North.

      Peace,
      Laurel Lambert