a chance to reach out to our warriors

  • Valerie & Ben Iglar-Mobley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Dear all OPCTJers,

      I'd like to make a suggestion to help both veterans
      and the homeless, as you have suggested to do in other
      ways. You can host a potential veteran for Christmas
      or New Years Eve. If you express interest, a sailor
      will be delivered to you for the holiday of your
      choice.

      We have a military training facility near us, Great
      Lakes Naval training Center. Sailors who can't afford
      to go home are available for the "adopt a sailor"
      program. They are away from their homes and virtually
      homeless for the holidays, and probably will be
      shipped out soon to Iraq. They no doubt hope that
      their work there will benefit our country, but there
      may be doubts as well.

      Is there a message that you would like to express, in
      addition to a lovingly cooked meal? It's up to you.
      If they do not respond directly to your message
      perhaps they will, in the spirit of the holiday and in
      deference to their own doubts, pass it along to
      someone who may be more interested.

      I have business cards for the GI Rights Hotline that
      you can give them, and am eager to give them out. The
      GI Rights Hotline is a tollfree phone line devoted to
      giving accurate information to active duty GIs who are
      not getting it through the chain of command.
      Typically callers want to know how to get out of the
      military. It would be great to provide them with that
      kind of information, wouldn't it?

      The experience of those who regularly give out these
      cards is that the immediate recipient doesn't express
      interest, but NEVER refuses it and will accept it if
      asked to pass it to someone who might be interested.
      Let's spread the word at Great Lakes.

      Judy Erickson
      -jemessage1@...

      -P.S. The number to call to adopt a sailor is:

      708-524-2415 (leave your name & phone #)

      You might want to say that you were referred by me,
      Judy Erickson. Please be respectful, and remember
      that these people are willing to sacrifice themselves
      for their country.

      Please let me know how and when to get the GI Rights
      Hotline cards to you. MANY THANKS!