OPCTJ Speaker Event on Security

  • Carol Gulyas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      The Oak Park Coalition for Truth and Justice is planning an event around Bush's domestic and international security agenda. It is the first in a series we plan for the fall. I'm hoping you can circulate it among your own email lists, friends, etc. I can send you the PDF version for flyering and posting, upon your request.
      We are hoping to get a good crowd so we can continue to attract good speakers. Thanks so much for attending and helping to promote this.

      ***Empires Fall***
      Carol Gulyas
      708.660.0948
      312.933.8415 (cell)
      carolgulyas2@...

      Is America More Secure Now?
      President Bush has pledged to make the U.S. more
      secure. Are his administration's policies achieving that?

      Come to a free forum to discuss this important issue with the following speakers:

      The American Civil Liberties Union has gained support from both the political left and right in its forceful opposition to the USA PATRIOT Act. Ed Yohnka, Communications Director of the Illinois Chapter of the ACLU, will address the Act's threats to civil liberties and its ineffectiveness as a security strategy.

      Salim Yaqub, PhD., from the University of Chicago will address the international security issue. Mr. Yaqub's concentration is 20th-century international history, particularly the Middle East. His first book is Containing Arab Nationalism: The Eisenhower Doctrine and the Middle East, forthcoming from the
      University of North Carolina Press.

      Saturday, September 20, 2:00 to 4:00
      Pilgrim Church, 460 Lake Street, Oak Park, IL
      Take Green Line to Ridgeland stop.
      Walk one block north to Lake St., turn left and walk one block to the church.
      This event is part of the "Connecting the Dots" Series which seeks to illuminate key current issues, leading up to the 2004 Presidential election.

      Planned topics include: "Cost of War -- Winners and Losers in a War Economy" Nov. 1 Pilgrim Church
      "Globalization and Privatization -- How are they Related?" Dec. 6 Pilgrim Church
      "Shrink, Shift and Shaft -- the Right Wing Agenda" January, location TBD
      For information, contact 708.660.0948.

      This event brought to you by the Oak Park Coalition for Truth & Justice www.opctj.org