Reminder: Ali Abunimah June 5

  • hbellour@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      Media, War, & Occupation:
      A lecture and discussion with Ali Abunimah

      Thursday, June 5, 7:30-9:00 pm
      Oak Park River Forest High School
      Room 370
      201 N. Scoville Ave.
      Oak Park

      [Public transportation to OPRF High School: take the Green Line and get off
      at Ridgeland, then walk two blocks west to Scoville and one block north to
      the entrance. Street parking is usually available in the high school area.]
      Media, War, & Occupation:

      ** How do the media filter information to shape our perceptions of events in
      Iraq, Israel, and Palestine?
      ** What are we seeing, what are we not seeing, and who decides?
      ** Is there media bias?
      ** How independent are the journalists who report on these conflicts?
      ** What pressures exist within the news dissemination industry that affect
      our exposure to the facts?
      ** How do the American media differ from news sources elsewhere around the
      world?
      ** How does public opinion around the world vary from our own, and why?
      ** How has the Internet changed our access to information?
      ** What is the function of alternative media outlets?

      About Ali Abunimah:

      Well-known media analyist Ali Abunimah is co-founder of Electronic Intifada
      and Electronic Iraq, and vice-president of the Arab-American Action Network.
      An articulate and much-sought public speaker with a comprehensive
      understanding of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Mr. Abunimah regularly
      appears in national and international broadcast and print media.

      Abunimah's many broadcast news invitations have included CSPAN, BBC, CNN,
      NPR, and MSNBC. He has appeared on "Hardball With Chris Matthews," "Chicago
      Tonight," and "Hannity and Colmes." Abunimah's op-ed pieces have appeared in
      the Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, Salon.com,
      the Philadelphia Inquirer, and the Village Voice.

      Sponsored by:
      Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine
      American Friends Service Committee
      Oak Park Coalition for Truth and Justice

      Information: 312/427-2533x18
      Website: www.geocities.com/cjpipwebsite