4149Fiesta Luncheon to benefit Honduras Medical Aid: Dr. Juan Almendares Speaking Sun Oct 20.

  • laurel schmidt
    Oct 17 1:33 AM
      Friends, Join us Oct 20 for our 16th Fiesta Luncheon benefit for the work of Dr. Juan Almendares in Honduras and the Honduran Health Exchange. There will be loads of South of the Border treats and an inspiring message by Dr. Almendares of his work there. We'll get started between noon and 12:15 at Third Unitarian Church, 301 N. Mayfield see details and directions below.

        16th Fiesta Luncheon to Benefit Medical Aid to Honduras
        Sunday Oct 20 at 12:15pm (following service)

        Third Unitarian Church
        301 N. Mayfield, Chicago, IL
        Sponsored by TUC's Social Action Committee (SAC)

      SAC's sixteenth annual Fiesta Luncheon begins after church service at Third Unitarian Church Sunday May 23! This year's Fiesta Luncheon will benefit the work of Dr. Juan Almendares in Hondurans. Dr Almendares, who is visiting Chicago, will give a presentation at the luncheon.

      This year's luncheon will feature the best spread of the year featuring our favorite authentic south of the border recipes, sunshine punch, fair trade coffee and music. Tickets are $6.00/adults, $3.00/children and $15.00 for families. Bring your appetites, and please bring your checkbook. It's sure to be a gala time.

      Dr. Juan Almendares, the internationally known Honduran medical doctor, human rights activist, environmental leader and alternative medicine practitioner, is recognized for his work in the treatment of victims of torture. A victim of repression and torture himself, Dr. Almendares, also directs a community-directed peace organization, COHAPAZ, to organize protest movements against transnational companies that impinge upon and exploit, rather than assist, the lives of Hondurans. His Honduran Health Center (HHC), founded with the assistance of SAC members, is a Tegucigalpa-based health clinic that provides free health examinations and consultations in various urban barrios and health brigades to needy rural communities.

      Our speakers this year will include Dr. Almendares himself along with friends and associates, Dr. Mike Collins and Ms. Carol Petersen, founders and board members of Enable International Inc., the US organization that directly supports the community/medical work of Dr. Almendares in Honduras.
      Checks for tax deductible donations may be made out to Enable International, Incl, the 501c3 foundation that directly supports the community medical work of Dr. Almendares in Honduras. Address donations or requests for tickets to: Enable International c/o Third Unitarian Church, 301 N. Mayfield, Chicago, IL 60644.
      I would like to support the work of Dr. Almendares in Honduras. Please send me

      #________ tickets for $________________($6.00/adult, $3.00/child, $15,00/family) or

      Please accept my donation of $_____________________________ for ____________________________

      For more information please contact::
      Mike Collins 847-304-5690, Carol Petersen 312-829-1966 or
      Laurel Lambert Schmidt 773-991-8751
      Date: Sun, Oct 20th, 2013
      Time: 12:15 pm
      Location: Third Unitarian Church