Re: Oki Semiconductor Incorporates Unique Features to Deliver Industry's Lowest

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
      Hi Eric,

      The 4050/60 devices do not have a USB port.
      They use JTAG or Serial port for Flash erase/programming.
      They use standard SDP JEDEC Commands, the commands can be found in the
      User Manual for the product.

      Thanks,
      Ken
      --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Engler" <englere.geo@y...>
      wrote:

      > Is there a documented API for supporting the USB interface on the PC?
      >
      > I write open source IDE's and I need to be able to program the flash,
      > preferably over the USB interface.
    • Eric Engler
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 16, 2005
        --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "kendwyer" <kendwyer@y...> wrote:
        > The 4050/60 devices do not have a USB port.
        > They use JTAG or Serial port for Flash erase/programming.
        > They use standard SDP JEDEC Commands, the commands can be found in the
        > User Manual for the product.

        I misread the info at first, apparently the USB is just an adapter
        that lets a PC connect to the JTAG port. You can tell I'm new to the
        ARM world because this is something that a lot of development boards
        are using, according to my web searches today.

        I'm sure I can get the command info, but I need some kind of API on
        the PC side that will let me interact with the USB connection. Is this
        possibly mapped as a virtual serial port on the PC?

        I'd like to control the debugging features of an ARM chip from a PC
        application. I have written some IDEs for Freescale 9s12 chips and I
        was trying to determine if there was a way for me to support
        breakpoints and interactive debugging in general on ARM devices. The
        9s12 chips have a Background Debug Mode, and it's well-supported by a
        serial monitor. I can do a great deal of interactive debugging by
        issuing monitor commands over a standard serial port. They even let me
        set breakpoints on flash locations without any specialized hardware.

        I saw that there is apparently some debug features in ARM devices also
        (I saw some stuff at arm.com), but I need a way to use those features
        from a PC. Does anyone have ideas on this?

        My IDEs are commonly used in college classes because they don't have
        the funds to buy commercial IDEs. Anything I do for the Arm has to be
        low-cost in nature in order to be useful - in other words, its not
        possible for me to take advantage of commercial software in this project.

        Eric
      • Chris Hiszpanski
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
          Hi Eric,

          I used the Amontec ChameleonPOD in conjunction with GNU GDB (ARM Ltd.
          supported distribution at www.codesourcery.com). Take a look at
          http://www.amontec.com It's ~$200, but relatively cheap in comparison to
          other commercial solutions.

          Cheers,
          Chris

          >--- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "kendwyer" <kendwyer@y...> wrote:
          > > The 4050/60 devices do not have a USB port.
          > > They use JTAG or Serial port for Flash erase/programming.
          > > They use standard SDP JEDEC Commands, the commands can be found in the
          > > User Manual for the product.
          >
          >I misread the info at first, apparently the USB is just an adapter
          >that lets a PC connect to the JTAG port. You can tell I'm new to the
          >ARM world because this is something that a lot of development boards
          >are using, according to my web searches today.
          >
          >I'm sure I can get the command info, but I need some kind of API on
          >the PC side that will let me interact with the USB connection. Is this
          >possibly mapped as a virtual serial port on the PC?
          >
          >I'd like to control the debugging features of an ARM chip from a PC
          >application. I have written some IDEs for Freescale 9s12 chips and I
          >was trying to determine if there was a way for me to support
          >breakpoints and interactive debugging in general on ARM devices. The
          >9s12 chips have a Background Debug Mode, and it's well-supported by a
          >serial monitor. I can do a great deal of interactive debugging by
          >issuing monitor commands over a standard serial port. They even let me
          >set breakpoints on flash locations without any specialized hardware.
          >
          >I saw that there is apparently some debug features in ARM devices also
          >(I saw some stuff at arm.com), but I need a way to use those features
          >from a PC. Does anyone have ideas on this?
          >
          >My IDEs are commonly used in college classes because they don't have
          >the funds to buy commercial IDEs. Anything I do for the Arm has to be
          >low-cost in nature in order to be useful - in other words, its not
          >possible for me to take advantage of commercial software in this project.
          >
          >Eric

        • Doug Sutherland
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
            Is there any north american distributers for this chameleon pod?
            Sounds like what I've been looking for.

            Thanks, Doug

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 17, 2005
              I'm in California and bought mine straight from Amontec in Switzerland.
              Shipped within a few days. I don't know of any distributors. You may want to
              ask the company, though I don't think a distributor is necessary -- the
              company will ship straight to you without the added cost of a middle man.

              Cheers,
              Chris

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 29, 2005
                > http://www.nuhorizons.com/ame51/

                I signed up for one of the free seminars advertised on this web page,
                but I was surprised that I never got an email confirmation.

                I also sent an email to one of the contact addresses to see if anyone
                could verify my seat in the class, but nobody ever responded.

                This seems odd to me?
              • Eric Engler
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 31, 2005
                  I got email today from nuhorizons and OKI. They didn't show that I
                  registered for the seminar. I don't know this for sure, but the
                  website may have been incompatible with Firefox. I suggest that if
                  anyone is thinking about signing up for a free sminar, it might be
                  wise to use Internet Explorer.

                  They've got me signed up now. Thanks to anyone who helped! It was
                  important to me to get this worked out. It sounds like a very
                  interesting seminar!

                  Eric
                • Eric Engler
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 11, 2005
                    > http://www2.okisemi.com/site/press/pressrelease/current/PR-
                    > Current.html/PR-20050808.html
                    >
                    > http://www.nuhorizons.com/ame51/

                    I just attended the class today in Atlanta. I was quite impressed!
                    This was not a marketing event - this was a pure techie event.

                    From the moment I arrived I got "down and dirty" with the ame51 demo
                    board, the JLink, and the IAR tool suite. They had everything boxed up
                    when we arrived, and we unpackaged it, wired it up, and most of us got
                    it working in less than 15 minutes, before the class offically started!

                    The IAR representative couldn't make it so I was a little concerned at
                    first. But that doubt went away when it became obvious that the OKI
                    representatives were extremely knowledgeable about the IAR toolset.
                    They didn't miss a beat.

                    The demo projects were well thought-out, as was the ame51 board
                    itself. They had a large amount of RAM that could be configured into a
                    ROM emulation mode, which made it possible to support many breakpoints.

                    The instructors from OKI and Nu Horizons were very knowledgeable about
                    ARM devices in general, and not just the OKI devices. I asked a lot of
                    questions and several others asked a lot of questions, and we always
                    got great answers. These guys knew their stuff. In some classes I've
                    had before the instructors seemed to draw a blank if you get them off
                    of their prepared material, but this was not a problem in this class.

                    Their presentation was full of technical details and good advice, and
                    the labs were well designed. We only had 4 hours to work with, but it
                    was jam-packed with info and it'll take me a couple days to digest it all.

                    If any of you have a chance to attend this class in another city
                    please do it! It's the best 4 hours I've spent in a long time.

                    I had to rush out at the end because I was due accross town for a
                    meeting. I felt bad that I didn't have more time to socialize. I hope
                    the fine people involved with this event will get the word on how much
                    I enjoyed it.

                    Thanks OKI and Nu Horizons!
                  • junger zou
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 11, 2005
                      hi :

                      it is seemed very well:-)

                      but do you notice the write time of the Embeded flash
                      of the chips , it is no more than 500 times, so maybe
                      everyone want to use the chip they need get one AME51
                      first for debug.

                      Junger
                      --- Eric Engler <englere.geo@...>写道:

                      ---------------------------------

                      http://www2.okisemi.com/site/press/pressrelease/current/PR-
                      > Current.html/PR-20050808.html
                      >
                      > http://www.nuhorizons.com/ame51/

                      I just attended the class today in Atlanta. I was
                      quite impressed!
                      This was not a marketing event - this was a pure
                      techie event.

                      From the moment I arrived I got "down and dirty" with
                      the ame51 demo
[...]

                      Oki
                      Microprocessor
                      Microcontrollers

                      Pic microcontrollers
                      8051 microprocessor

                      Terms of Service.

                      ---------------------------------

                      雅虎免费G邮箱-中国第一绝无垃圾邮件骚扰超大邮箱
                      http://cn.mail.yahoo.com
                    • Eric Engler
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 14, 2005
                        > but do you notice the write time of the Embeded flash
                        > of the chips , it is no more than 500 times, so maybe
                        > everyone want to use the chip they need get one AME51
                        > first for debug.

                        Wow, I didn't know it was only 500 times. That seems very low to me.

                        But the AME51 board has 1 Meg of external RAM onboard, and they let
                        you map it to the normal flash range. Most of the time people will
                        develop programs using this RAM feature. This lets you set more than 1
                        breakpoint, and this will help to save the flash.

                        I was suprised that they make one version of the chip small enough to
                        fit on a smart card (which is the size of a credit card).