Bug in Oki ISFP utility?

  • Chris Hiszpanski
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2005
      Hello,

      Using the GNU arm toolsuite, I compiled my code and converted it to Intel
      Hex format using the objcopy tool.

      I then tried to write the resulting hex file to the flash of my ML67Q5003
      using Oki ISFP v1.0. The ISFP did not recognize the file as a valid hex
      file, but prepending this extended linear address record to the file fixed
      the problem:

      :0200000040000FA

      However, when I write my file to flash, the first 0xB0 addresses of the hex
      file are not written to flash. The first address is 0xB0. If I load my hex
      file and compare against the written contents of flash, the two are
      identical, but again ISFP believes that address 0xB0 is 0x00 in hex file
      that is being compared against. The last address also is 0x12B20, not
      0x12BD0 as it should be.

      Doing these same tests with the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex file, I encounter no
      such problems.

      Any ideas why ISFP is skipping the first 0xB0 address from my hex file? Did
      anyone else have this problem?

      Cheers,
      Chris

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2005
        Hi Chris,

        Is your HEX file contiguous?

        "Oki ISFP only supports Intel Hex formatted files with contiguous
        memory addresses starting at the flash base address"

        There is also a newer version of the ISFP tool available. I will
        check on the status.

        Thanks,
        Ken

        --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hiszpanski" <chiszp@h...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Using the GNU arm toolsuite, I compiled my code and converted it to
        Intel
        > Hex format using the objcopy tool.
        >
        > I then tried to write the resulting hex file to the flash of my
        ML67Q5003
        > using Oki ISFP v1.0. The ISFP did not recognize the file as a valid
        hex
        > file, but prepending this extended linear address record to the
        file fixed
        > the problem:
        >
        > :0200000040000FA
        >
        > However, when I write my file to flash, the first 0xB0 addresses of
        the hex
        > file are not written to flash. The first address is 0xB0. If I load
        my hex
        > file and compare against the written contents of flash, the two are
        > identical, but again ISFP believes that address 0xB0 is 0x00 in hex
        file
        > that is being compared against. The last address also is 0x12B20,
        not
        > 0x12BD0 as it should be.
        >
        > Doing these same tests with the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex file, I
        encounter no
        > such problems.
        >
        > Any ideas why ISFP is skipping the first 0xB0 address from my hex
        file? Did
        > anyone else have this problem?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Chris

        > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
        it's FREE!
      • Chris Hiszpanski
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2005
          Hi Ken,

          Yes, my hex file is contiguous. It also begins at address 0x0. I have posted
          my hex file to http://www.its.caltech.edu/~hiszpans/pub/ethphone.hex.zip

          I am using v1.0, which is 1.23MB. Taking a look at the file size of the most
          recent version Oki's website, it is also 1.23MB, so I did not look further
          at the version.

          Cheers,
          Chris

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
            Chris,

            I see the issue and confirmed that the latest version of ISFP does
            not work with your code.
            The reason is that ISFP for ML674K/5k does not support address
            translation. Thus, it will make such mistakes on addressing. This
            will be fixed in the near future and I will update the group when
            this happens.

            wrote:
            > Hi Ken,
            >
            > Yes, my hex file is contiguous. It also begins at address 0x0. I
            have posted
            > my hex file to
            http://www.its.caltech.edu/~hiszpans/pub/ethphone.hex.zip

            > I am using v1.0, which is 1.23MB. Taking a look at the file size of
            the most
            > recent version Oki's website, it is also 1.23MB, so I did not look
            further
            > at the version.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Chris
            >
            > >Is your HEX file contiguous?
            > >
            > >"Oki ISFP only supports Intel Hex formatted files with contiguous
            > >memory addresses starting at the flash base address"
            > >
            > >There is also a newer version of the ISFP tool available. I will
            > >check on the status.
            > >
            > >Thanks,
            > >Ken
            > >
            > >--- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hiszpanski"
            <chiszp@h...>
            > >wrote:
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > Using the GNU arm toolsuite, I compiled my code and converted
            it to
            > >Intel
            > > > Hex format using the objcopy tool.
            > > >
            > > > I then tried to write the resulting hex file to the flash of my
            > >ML67Q5003
            > > > using Oki ISFP v1.0. The ISFP did not recognize the file as a
            valid
            > >hex
            > > > file, but prepending this extended linear address record to the
            > >file fixed
            > > > the problem:
            > > >
            > > > :0200000040000FA
            > > >
            > > > However, when I write my file to flash, the first 0xB0
            addresses of
            > >the hex
            > > > file are not written to flash. The first address is 0xB0. If I
            load
            > >my hex
            > > > file and compare against the written contents of flash, the two
            are
            > > > identical, but again ISFP believes that address 0xB0 is 0x00 in
            hex
            > >file
            > > > that is being compared against. The last address also is
            0x12B20,
            > >not
            > > > 0x12BD0 as it should be.
            > > >
            > > > Doing these same tests with the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex file, I
            > >encounter no
            > > > such problems.
            > > >
            > > > Any ideas why ISFP is skipping the first 0xB0 address from my
            hex
            > >file? Did
            > > > anyone else have this problem?
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > > Chris

            > > > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
            > >it's FREE!
            > > > http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

          • Chris Hiszpanski
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
              Ken,

              Does this mean that the ISFP can only program hex files that are at most
              64KB in size?

              Is the source code for ISFP available for me to look at?

              Do you know the time frame for the next ISFP release?

              I suppose if all else fails I can use the bootloader to load my own program
              that then programs flash with a hex file that I send via x/y/zmodem.

            • Chris Hiszpanski
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2005
                I discovered and resolved the problem. Turns out that Cygwin was causing the
                hex file to be generated in unix file format, missing the 0x0d characters
                before the 0x0a characters commonly found on Windows systems. Oki ISFP
                required that the hex file be in Windows format. Running unix2dos on the hex
                file resolved the issue. Additionally, I am now able to write files larger
                than 64K without problems.

                Cheers,
                Chris