Flash code protection

  • ggindele
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2004
      Couple month ago is seemed OKI does not have code protection fol the
      flash content. Did it change recently? I just read some new silicon
      version vent into production and the errata's removed. Is there any
      change in the code protection area?
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2004
        Are you talking about security function?
        The ML674K/5K Series devices allows for write protect of sectors.
        However the Flash does not have a security feature.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 21, 2004
          Yes, it's the flash code read security that seems to be missing. Is
          there any other way the intellectual property can be protected?

          --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "kendwyer" <kendwyer@y...> wrote:

          > Are you talking about security function?
          > The ML674K/5K Series devices allows for write protect of sectors.
          > However the Flash does not have a security feature.
          >
          > --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "ggindele" <ggindele@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Couple month ago is seemed OKI does not have code protection fol the
          > > flash content. Did it change recently? I just read some new silicon
          > > version vent into production and the errata's removed. Is there any
          > > change in the code protection area?
        • lpc2100_fan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2004
            Hi,

            in 8-bit applications the flash protection has been a big issue for a
            long time. IN 32-bit application that usually have much larger code it
            was not considered such a big deal by chip designers, hence OKI and
            some more did not implement Flash protection against read. With
            programs getting a lot smaller and reverse engineering more feasible,
            read protection is very important. Atmels new SAM7xx have read
            protection and as far as I know the ST7R have it as well. Philips
            started out with the LPC2104/5/6 without read protection but switched
            fast to provide read protection for all other devices. All ARM read
            protection sthat I know are realized by disabling any debugging. In a
            single chip application, debug and build in programming is the way to
            get into the micro. If you use an external bus for code execution all
            bets are off, it is almost impossible to protect from reading.

            So, most competitors of OKI made the step to include read protection,
            let's hope Oki realizes how important that is and implements it soon
            as well.

            Cheers, Bob

            --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "ggindele" <ggindele@y...> wrote:

            > Yes, it's the flash code read security that seems to be missing. Is
            > there any other way the intellectual property can be protected?
            >
            > --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "kendwyer" <kendwyer@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Are you talking about security function?
            > > The ML674K/5K Series devices allows for write protect of sectors.
            > > However the Flash does not have a security feature.
            > >
            > > --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "ggindele" <ggindele@y...> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Couple month ago is seemed OKI does not have code protection fol the
            > > > flash content. Did it change recently? I just read some new silicon
            > > > version vent into production and the errata's removed. Is there any
            > > > change in the code protection area?
          • raivo60
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2004
              interesting, how you imagine to protect memory content in von Neumann
              arcitecture computer with open data& aadress bus?
              I'm sure, LPC22xx devices with external bus are not protected from
              reading FlashROM too.
              Maybe I'm wrong, but only secure controllers with external bus are
              Dallas DS5000 chips.
            • lpc2100_fan
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
                Hi,

                protecting an open bus is pretty much impossible IF CODE IS EXECUTED
                from there. However, if only data fetches access the bus or the whole
                device is used as single chip with lots of digital I/O, it is
                definitely possible.
                Your statement that the external bus can not be protected is correct
                as soon as ONE (or more) instructions are fetched from external bus.

                Cheers, Bob