ML674/5K series errata & info

  • fe64970103
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
      Hello group !

      I am about to start a project and I am looking for an ARM7TDMI based
      cpu. OKI ML674K / ML675K series seems to have the features I need
      (flash, sdram, i2c, ).

      I have no experience with OKI. It would be highly appreciated if you
      would share with me your OKI experience. I am particulary interested
      in some errata info.

      Regards,
      Marko
    • Rick Collins
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
        At 04:49 PM 8/18/2004, you wrote:
        >Hello group !
        >
        >I am about to start a project and I am looking for an ARM7TDMI based
        >cpu. OKI ML674K / ML675K series seems to have the features I need
        >(flash, sdram, i2c, ).
        >
        >I have no experience with OKI. It would be highly appreciated if you
        >would share with me your OKI experience. I am particulary interested
        >in some errata info.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Marko

        If this is a work related project, I would strongly suggest that you
        contact your local sales rep and FAE and discuss your needs with them
        directly. If this is a hobbiest project, you might be better off with a
        Philips chip. The Philips chips seem to have garnered a large following of
        grass roots support. If you are doing a commercial design, this is much
        less important and the support from your OKI reps is much more important.

        My experience was that OKI seemed to be much more interested in larger
        customers and it was hard to get good answers to questions. Often I had to
        wait weeks and/or ask multiple times.

        BTW, if you would like an eval board, I have a Cogent board I am happy to
        part with. I decided to roll my own CPU inside the FPGA.
      • Marko Panger
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
          Hi Rick and others,

          This is a commercial project. It is estimated to sell about 500
          pcs/year. As you can see it is relatively a "low quantity" project. I
          have already discussed with the local FAE. The mentioned CPUs have all I
          need. The LPC series from Philips have no SDRAM interface so I can't use
          them.

          I had a *very* bad experience with my previous project. I used a DSP'
          from TI which was full of bugs. The errata was more than 100 pages. It
          took us about half a year of development to overcome all the
          undocumented or lately documented bugs. Obviously when we had discussed
          with the local FAE all was OK.

          It is always the same story. You will never get the exact information
          from FAEs or sales managers. They are just trying to sell you their
          device. It is always good to know booth sides of the medal. And the
          other side are we - developers !

          This was the reason why I am refering to the user group. Only a
          developer can give you the right information and share her/his
          experience. Since there is no errata on the OKI's web pages I would be
          glad to get some errata info from you. Also any other info is more than
          welcome (reference designs,...).

          I was thinking to put all in an FPGA too, but I am using a library
          which is compiled for an ARM7TDMI cpu.

          Regards,
          Marko

          Rick Collins wrote:

          >At 04:49 PM 8/18/2004, you wrote:
          >

          >>Hello group !
          >>
          >>I am about to start a project and I am looking for an ARM7TDMI based
          >>cpu. OKI ML674K / ML675K series seems to have the features I need
          >>(flash, sdram, i2c, ).
          >>
          >>I have no experience with OKI. It would be highly appreciated if you
          >>would share with me your OKI experience. I am particulary interested
          >>in some errata info.
          >>
          >>Regards,
          >>Marko
          >>

          >If this is a work related project, I would strongly suggest that you
          >contact your local sales rep and FAE and discuss your needs with them
          >directly. If this is a hobbiest project, you might be better off with a
          >Philips chip. The Philips chips seem to have garnered a large following of
          >grass roots support. If you are doing a commercial design, this is much
          >less important and the support from your OKI reps is much more important.
          >
          >My experience was that OKI seemed to be much more interested in larger
          >customers and it was hard to get good answers to questions. Often I had to
          >wait weeks and/or ask multiple times.
          >
          >BTW, if you would like an eval board, I have a Cogent board I am happy to
          >part with. I decided to roll my own CPU inside the FPGA.
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • berrycake33
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
            --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, Marko Panger <marko.panger@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Rick and others,
            >
            > This is a commercial project. It is estimated to sell about 500
            > pcs/year. As you can see it is relatively a "low quantity" project.
            > have already discussed with the local FAE. The mentioned CPUs have
            all I
            > need. The LPC series from Philips have no SDRAM interface so I
            can't use
            > them.
            >
            > I had a *very* bad experience with my previous project. I used a
            DSP'
            > from TI which was full of bugs. The errata was more than 100 pages.
            It
            > took us about half a year of development to overcome all the
            > undocumented or lately documented bugs. Obviously when we had
            discussed
            > with the local FAE all was OK.
            >
            > It is always the same story. You will never get the exact
            information
            > from FAEs or sales managers. They are just trying to sell you their
            > device. It is always good to know booth sides of the medal. And the
            > other side are we - developers !
            >
            > This was the reason why I am refering to the user group. Only a
            > developer can give you the right information and share her/his
            > experience. Since there is no errata on the OKI's web pages I would
            be
            > glad to get some errata info from you. Also any other info is more
            than
            > welcome (reference designs,...).
            >
            > I was thinking to put all in an FPGA too, but I am using a library
            > which is compiled for an ARM7TDMI cpu.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Marko

            Hi Marko,

            I'm thinking to use Oki's ML67Q5002 as well.
            However, our first priority is ST's STR710 which is not in production
            yet. :(

            Btw, what's the chip you mentioned about TI's ?

            Regards,

            Shinn
          • Marko Panger
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 18, 2004
              Hi,

              The ML67Q5002 sounds great to me ! I am waiting for some samples.

              The TI's chip was the 5509. The fact was that we choose this CPU when it
              still was in beta release, but it was never released as "bug-free"
              device. Although we waited for about 1 and half a year for the official
              release, the errata of the latest version still has more than 100 pages.
              I will *never* choose again an CPU which is on the market for less than
              about 1 year. In this case the ARM7 is a proved technology.

              Excuse me for this off the topic discussion. The experience with TI was
              a good lesson to me and I just wouldn't like to repeat it with OKI.

              I am waiting for your replys about OKI !

              Regards,
              Marko

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 19, 2004
                Hi,

                The OKI ML674K/5K series of devices are mature products and in mass
                production for some months. At one point Oki did have an errata list
                on their web page but this has since been remved, yes, there were
                errata on the chips but all these have been fixed on the current
                revision of silicon (MP - Mass Production).

                Regards,
                Ken